Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Negatives of restricting blower inlet vs. changing pulley to get less boost

Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negatives of restricting blower inlet vs. changing pulley to get less boost

I've been working out some bugs on my set-up. Changed the converter that we think was slipping & robbing power. The other thing I had to workout was lowering the boost so my 80lb injectors won't be over 100% dc. It was making 25psi with an open inlet and it was recommended by my tuner to bring it down to around 20psi. Changing the pulley is the typical way to lower the boost but I'm limited with options because I have the super pulley on the head unit which only comes in one size and I have a custom machined cog on the crank. No one sells a cog pulley for the crank so in order to change it I would have to do another custom one and that gets expensive.
I've decided to try to lower the boost by restricting the inlet instead. This way I don't need to spend a bunch more on a new pulley and it's easy enough to bring the boost back up when I have more fuel and stronger heads. I've restricted the inlet by adding a double screen, 4" 90 elbow and a 4" air filter. The inlet to the blower is 4.5" so I'm hoping by bringing it down to 4" and adding the restrictions in airflow, I should loose at least 3-5psi. If I loose more than that, I can always remove one or both screens to get it where I want it.
Now assuming I get the boost where I want it, is this going to cause any additional stress on the blower? I've heard of people using restrictor plates on the inlet to reduce boost so I'm not the first to limit the inlet but I just want to make sure it's not going to cause problems. I know bleeding off the boost is not recommended by procharger because the blower needs the pressure as the rpms go up or something like that, I know it's not good, otherwise I would have tried the wastegate thing. However, I havn't heard any negatives of just restricting the inlet. Please help me out if you know anything about this as this is all new to me and I'd hate to hurt the head unit. TIA.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you just get bigger injectors or add meth and leave boost where it is?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Increased IAT,s by restricting the inlet.

Brent
Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Isn't you bypass valve adjustable? Loosen it up a little bit where it might bleed off some air. Did you not think a F2 might give you this sort of problem, haha? I had a similar problem with my YSi, it puts out 24#boost. I just went with 95# injectors.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brent@EPP

Brent
I have not had this issue, and much data logging has been done... ZERO difference was detected in IAT's...
restrict it and be happy!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
Can't you just get bigger injectors or add meth and leave boost where it is?
80s are the biggest unless I convert to low imp which I don't want to. Meth is an option but I don't like the added risk of a malfunction or running out and blowing my block.
Also, with either of those options I'd be making too much power to feel comfortable with stock 317s. Once I upgrade to 6 bolt heads, I'll bring the boost back up and upgrade the fuel system.

Originally Posted by Brent@EPP

Brent
Increased compared to what? I don't see how they could go higher than what they are with 25psi. I do understand it would make sense that they would be the same at 20psi restricted as 25psi non restricted because the blower is spinning the same. They would be increased compared to 20psi non restricted because the blower will be spinning faster at 20psi restricted. My iat s wont increase, they'll just be the same as they are at 25psi, do I understand this correctly?

Originally Posted by ak95ta
Isn't you bypass valve adjustable? Loosen it up a little bit where it might bleed off some air. Did you not think a F2 might give you this sort of problem, haha? I had a similar problem with my YSi, it puts out 24#boost. I just went with 95# injectors.
Bleeding off boost is bad for the blower, so I've read.
I knew the F2 would make a lot of boost but my build isn't finished, the stock heads and inadequate fuel system are limiting what I can do right now. I just want to be able to enjoy the car for the next year while I save up for the heads.

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
I have not had this issue, and much data logging has been done... ZERO difference was detected in IAT's...
restrict it and be happy!!!
I hope it works the same for me, good to know thanks.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Coal Mining Director

Biggest concern I would have is sucking a screen into the supercharger. Make sure those babies are properly anchored as they are going to have some major pressure against them. ECS might have some advice for you since they use an inlet restriction on some of their set-ups....I truly undestand where you're coming from on cost/complexity, but I'd pulley down.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
Biggest concern I would have is sucking a screen into the supercharger. Make sure those babies are properly anchored as they are going to have some major pressure against them. ECS might have some advice for you since they use an inlet restriction on some of their set-ups....I truly undestand where you're coming from on cost/complexity, but I'd pulley down.
The pulley would be my choice too buuuut, not only is it cost, it's a lot of down time, it's a pain! No body makes them. I have to find the right size cog pulley then once I get that in the mail, I have to send out to a machine shop and make sure they get the exact bolt spacing, which I'm not even sure how to do that. The pulley I have on it now was done by the guy that machined my block, I gave him my crank and had him make a perfect ballanced fit. Just seems like a lot of work to go though for a temp pulley.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onfire
.......i truly undestand where you're coming from on cost/complexity, but i'd pulley down.

+1
Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

why not just spin the motor a little less
Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

I say with a 3.5" tube, filter and less RPM you should be o.k.

I prefer trying this if you are not going the pulley route over the screens.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
I say with a 3.5" tube, filter and less RPM you should be o.k.

I prefer trying this if you are not going the pulley route over the screens.
Thanks for the input Larry. Lower rpms should be fine because it's just for the street for now, I'm not chancing it at the track until I put better heads on, then we can up the boost and figure out the fuel. Won't be till next year though, for now I just want to have some fun on the street.

The car should be a lot better this next time I bring it in. I quieted it down quite a bit. Still 3" true duals but now I have a Borla off each header and then into a dynomax x pipe muffler. It's 10 times quieter, all straight thru still but I'm sure it's more restricted than no mufflers. I can't wait to drive it with this Chance converter I got a deal on. I talked to Marty and it sounds like it should be super tight. I'll take it for a test drive tomorrow, just got to drop it off the jack stands. I'll be calling you soon so Jim can do a quick check on the tune before I hit it on the streets too hard.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you restrict the inlet, the hp required to drive the blower doesn't decrease. So, you're getting all the parasitic losses but less boost out of it. It reduces the efficiency of the FI system, which was already lower than turbo setups.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by engineermike
When you restrict the inlet, the hp required to drive the blower doesn't decrease. So, you're getting all the parasitic losses but less boost out of it. It reduces the efficiency of the FI system, which was already lower than turbo setups.
Thats right, you are losing a fair amount of power by restricting the inlet as opposed to reducing the blower rpm, especially with that big of a blower.

Slowing it down (while keeping it somewhat in its efficiency range) is the best way to do it. Obviously restricting the inlet is not the best way of doing it, but it is the cheapest and most practical for you.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by engineermike
Originally Posted by kp
Thats right, you are losing a fair amount of power by restricting the inlet as opposed to reducing the blower rpm, especially with that big of a blower.

Slowing it down (while keeping it somewhat in its efficiency range) is the best way to do it. Obviously restricting the inlet is not the best way of doing it, but it is the cheapest and most practical for you.
That makes sense. I would never try to do this with a finished set-up or for max power potential obviously. I just need something temporary so I can enjoy driving the car around, I just don't want to damage anything in the process and with the injectors at 114%, I consider that dangerous. Lower boost is the easiest/cheapest way to keep it safe so I can play with it a little while I save. The car has already been down for over two years and I just can't wait another year. Once I can afford some $3000 heads and an upgraded fuel system, it will go back to a non restricted set-up and that's when I'll be going for max potential on the set-up and as much boost as it will go with this pulley combination. It sucks having limited funds because I can't do everything the right way but if I won't be doing any damage, I can live with making a couple hundred less rwhp for the time being.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

PUT the filter on and see how much boost you lose with just that.

What pis are you running the 80 at ?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

look forward to seeing the car soon
Old 08-15-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you restrict the blower inlet the power to drive the unit will go down as will the top boost. The positive side is your area under the curve will be better with the restricter than if you pulley down. The other thing that sometimes would happen if using a restrictor is air noise going in the restriction.

Kurt
Old 08-16-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Have a pully made!

I would pull the pully and take it to a machine shop and have one made 1/4 to 1/2 bigger which will slow your blower speed thus reducing your PSI .I have custom pullys made all the time for my scavanging pump kit that i made up for the INCON TT and now the APS TT.You'de be shocked what the machinest can do with a piece of round stock aluminium .LOL You can probably contact a blower company or yours to ask them (EXACTLY) what size pully you would need for your 20 PSI goal .I probably would stay away from the restriction idea because of the added heat that will go with doing that .Have a pully made and be done with it!LOL Good luck man

Last edited by barnat; 08-16-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are set on restricting boost I'm an advocate of making the blower work a little less hard. Restricting the inlet will put more strain on the blower while still spinning at a faster RPM, I'd just swap pulleys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Negatives of restricting blower inlet vs. changing pulley to get less boost