Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Alright, who feels like opening up my doors for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alright, who feels like opening up my doors for me?

Not as easy as it sounds, I have 3 videos here that show the issues. Basically I think I need to replace both window motors and I know that I will get far too frustrated doing it myself. So anyone on here who has some experience with doing this I'm willing to pay, just name your price. The car is in West Boca and I'm having some trouble with the videos....damn.

The first 2 videos are of the driverside that I think may have something else wrong with it because it still goes up and down pretty quick, just makes a horrible notching noise as it moves. The passengerside I'm pretty sure is just the generic running low on juice and needing replacement.

Also, the driverside door lock no longer works electronically (with FOB or button) and I was wondering if anyone knows what part needs replacing to fix that?

Last edited by KameleonTransAm; 08-14-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not bad if you do the drill through the door trick. I think I replaced both of mine in about an hour.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

whats the drill through the door trick
Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8CsKZaUIuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_XBlwnvf2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BheoEg84tk0
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00 SiLvEr SS
whats the drill through the door trick
I think he may be referring to drilling through the fiberglass-like material to get at the rivets. I don't know how else you'd get to the motor w/o doing that though.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

yep your right, he is talking about cuting 3 holes though the door skin to get to the rivets that hold the motor not. this is to replace just the motor not the regulator. i know i have done a few of these and i hate doing them. also i know the revits that the motor uses are prettey big and the cheap rivet guns wont work. I have heard you can use nut and bolts but i have never personaly done it.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 AM
On The Tree

I have always used a number 10 by whatever sheet metal screw with the hex head. I used them on my car and a couple or friends and never had a problem.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

little nuts and bolts and some blue lock tight works great..
Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1srule
little nuts and bolts and some blue lock tight works great..
agreed. It's really not to bad. Here's a good visual write up on replacing the motor. http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

I just did mine this past week. Had no problems. Something strange I noticed though. My driver motor already had the rivets drilled out & replaced w/ nuts & bolts. I have owned this car since it came from the factory. The only time that panel has been off the door is when I had the panel replaced because of a crack. This was way back in 02 I believe. (warranty work) Not sure why they would have replaced the motor.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmacc
agreed. It's really not to bad. Here's a good visual write up on replacing the motor. http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

I just did mine this past week. Had no problems. Something strange I noticed though. My driver motor already had the rivets drilled out & replaced w/ nuts & bolts. I have owned this car since it came from the factory. The only time that panel has been off the door is when I had the panel replaced because of a crack. This was way back in 02 I believe. (warranty work) Not sure why they would have replaced the motor.
That is strange, but maybe they were helping you out with some preemptive maintenance?
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
That is strange, but maybe they were helping you out with some preemptive maintenance?
could be... wish they had done some pre-emptive maintenance on my bubbling roof instead. that's a story for a different thread though.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

I need to replace the regulators on my doors, not looking forward to that. I replaced the motor and used the small nuts & bolts which worked out well, but it stills get snagged up, so I have to believe the regulators have crapped out.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

in vids 1&2 the drivers door, it sounds like a broken gear tooth, whether its the motor or regulator, wont be known till door is dis-assembled
Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never considered the regulators being damaged...damn this may really suck.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bluechevyz28
in vids 1&2 the drivers door, it sounds like a broken gear tooth, whether its the motor or regulator, wont be known till door is dis-assembled
Oh and thank you answering one of my questions.

Anyone have a guess for the lock not working anymore?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, the windows work beautifully again and I took new vids for the hell of it but my friend logged me out of his youtube account. Bastard! The vids weren't really necessary anyway, I'm sure most of your windows are in good working order.

So a big thanks to Rob (98z28bitcha)! He came on down the road and helped me out, it was nice meeting someone else on here. The only unfortunate thing is I don't think the main passenger door speaker got replugged in...oops .

Anywho, woo working windows! (So much alliteration )
Old 08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Alright, the windows work beautifully again
So a big thanks to Rob (98z28bitcha)! He came on down the road and helped me out, it was nice meeting someone else on here. The only unfortunate thing is I don't think the main passenger door speaker got replugged in...oops .

Anywho, woo working windows! (So much alliteration )
so ...regulator ? and did you get the lock working ? might just be the switch in the door(had a loose connection on mine where the socket meets with the wiring plug)..
Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScrapSilicon
so ...regulator ? and did you get the lock working ? might just be the switch in the door(had a loose connection on mine where the socket meets with the wiring plug)..
Oh I thought I put it in my last post, it was the bolts being too loose and causing the motor to play pattycake with the regulator. But all that was done was replacing the motor and bolting it in tight, problem solved.

The lock is still broken, I didn't see anything messed up so the key works for me!

Quick Reply: Alright, who feels like opening up my doors for me?