General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC clutch clicking like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC clutch clicking like crazy

Copied from another forum:
"When at a complete stop it will not blow cold air at all and there is a clicking noise coming from the compressor about every 10 seconds. If I rev the engine to >1000rpms the clicking noise goes away and it begins to blow cold air. If I am driving on the highway it will blow very cold and it seems like there is nothing wrong with it."

k, my car is doing exactly the same thing. the ac clutch engages and disengages so often the clicking sound is driving me nuts.
today a guy who has been a Chevy mechanic for about 40 years evacuated and recharged the system.........no good. it's still doing the same thing.
Gary, did you ever get this resolved? if so, what was the cure?
anyone else have any ideas?

in both cases the car is a 2004 GTO
Old 08-15-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure, but a couple of things to check. You may be having a problem with the evaporator low temp switch, or the HP switch on the back of the compressor.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quadman
today a guy who has been a Chevy mechanic for about 40 years evacuated and recharged the system.........no good. it's still doing the same thing.
What did he say?

Were the pressures checked? What were they? Did they rise/fall as they should without rapid pressure fluctuation?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quadman
Copied from another forum:
"When at a complete stop it will not blow cold air at all and there is a clicking noise coming from the compressor about every 10 seconds. If I rev the engine to >1000rpms the clicking noise goes away and it begins to blow cold air. If I am driving on the highway it will blow very cold and it seems like there is nothing wrong with it."

k, my car is doing exactly the same thing. the ac clutch engages and disengages so often the clicking sound is driving me nuts.
Gary, did you ever get this resolved? if so, what was the cure?
anyone else have any ideas?

in both cases the car is a 2004 GTO
My 2001 Chevy Suburban does the exact same thing, but last summer it was fine; all of the sudden this summer it wouldn't blow cold at ALL! I had it recharged and it blows cold but if I come to a stop and sit for a few minutes the cold air begins getting warm and then when I start moving it gets cold again; or if I throw a few revs in then it will cool down too. WTF!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99monguse
My 2001 Chevy Suburban does the exact same thing, but last summer it was fine; all of the sudden this summer it wouldn't blow cold at ALL! I had it recharged and it blows cold but if I come to a stop and sit for a few minutes the cold air begins getting warm and then when I start moving it gets cold again; or if I throw a few revs in then it will cool down too. WTF!
Have you verified that your engine cooling fan clutch is working properly?

Quick Reply: AC clutch clicking like crazy