Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broken front sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken front sway bar

I crawled under by car (1997 Trans Am) to change the steering rack today, and discovered my front sway bar was broken. Not the end link, the bar itself. It broke on the outside edge of the K member bushing/bracket.

I've never heard of a sway bar breaking before. Is this not uncommon? Any suggestions for a replacement? I am leary of getting a junkyard bar if it might break too.

-Rich
Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The front bars have be known to break. It is not a very common problem but it does happen. If its in your budget consider upgrading to an aftermarket sway bar. If you do go with aftermarket bars it would be best to do both front and rear to get the best performance. If thats not possible you can just do the front then do the rear later. Our 32mm front bar is 40% stronger than the factory 30mm bar and will be a bit strong for the stock 19mm rear. Our rear bar is 22mm and is a great match to our front bar. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Broken front sway bar-4thgen-fbody.gif  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Can happen, not often but it does.

Replacement? Well, if you aren't looking for any help on the performance side--just go back to a junkyard one, it's not a common thing for them to break.

If you are looking for performance stepping up to an aftermarket bar (better a matched set of bars) is the way to go. Unlike most, my bars are hollow which saves a significant amount of weight (can be over 20 pounds vs. solid bars). In comparison to 32/22 bars the savings is on the order of about 15 pounds in total, and you actually end up with less weight than stock as the stock rear bar is solid. And the rear bar weight is unsprung weight as well, and getting rid of some of that makes the car's rear suspension work better because it's less mass that has to deal with bumps.

I don't know you need or want different bars. But they are easy to install, come with all new hardware, bushings, and grease... and flatten the car out a ton. My front bar is 35mm, not 32 and as such is a good bit stiffer. My rear bar is 22mm not 25mm as most sets that use a big front bar include. Why are my bars sized that way? Because I turn corners, and that's the combination of bars that has proven out over the years to be the best balanced setup for stability and handling.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine was broken too. I just swapped it with one from a Z28 from another member here.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Strano's sway bars on my WS.6 and I highly recommend them.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

I'm suggesting the chrome moly ones from Spohn.net

I really like the difference after lowering my car ..
Old 08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Zero
I'm suggesting the chrome moly ones from Spohn.net

I really like the difference after lowering my car ..

I have the same bars and love them. A lot of people will swear by Sam's stuff too.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Imagine what an even stiffer, and lighter 10+ pounds lighter front bar would do? How about a rear bar about as stiff, but roughly 7 pounds lighter....

Chrome-Moly here saves you no weight, CM is not lighter than mild steel. The way CM parts are lighter is by using thinner wall tubing on tubular parts due to increased strength. These bars are solid, don't let the chrome-moly name lull you into thinking they are the cat's ***. FWIW with our new production mine are too, but since it doesn't matter (or shouldn't) I don't push it. Maybe I should.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

I have an SS/ws6 sway bar is you want it. It came off of my '02 SS. Its already boxed up and ready to go. Mine is a 32mm gm hollow bar which will also match your stock 19mm rear. Mine is a simple bolt on and go with the benefit of being better than what came on your car. PM me if you want it.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's a great offer, and 7camaro7 is 100% correct a 32/19 combo is a great balanced setup, just about 30% softer at both ends than my 35/22 combination but balanced very similarly.

If you don't want to step up I'd take him up on it.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
The front bars have be known to break. It is not a very common problem but it does happen. If its in your budget consider upgrading to an aftermarket sway bar. If you do go with aftermarket bars it would be best to do both front and rear to get the best performance. If thats not possible you can just do the front then do the rear later. Our 32mm front bar is 40% stronger than the factory 30mm bar and will be a bit strong for the stock 19mm rear. Our rear bar is 22mm and is a great match to our front bar. Let me know if you have any questions.
How so? GM put this combo together on some cars from the factory. SS/ws6/older 1LEs. They were some of the better handling cars of the group.
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That's a great offer, and 7camaro7 is 100% correct a 32/19 combo is a great balanced setup, just about 30% softer at both ends than my 35/22 combination but balanced very similarly.

If you don't want to step up I'd take him up on it.
and if you've got some cash...(even if you don't) I suggest you saving up to get Sam's setup like I did lol

Last edited by 7camaro7; 08-17-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Launching!

I appreciate the advice. I ordered an aftermarket front bar.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rmpitzer
I appreciate the advice. I ordered an aftermarket front bar.
Even if you sent the ordered one back, ate restocking and shipping fees, and ordered mine, I bet mine would come out way cheaper.

Little known fact... some of these, "aftermarket bars," are remanufactured(used) gm bars with some nice red paint.

my bar is in great condition, btw. I'd take $80 shipped to your door.

Last edited by 7camaro7; 08-17-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Launching!

PM sent
Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
Even if you sent the ordered one back, ate restocking and shipping fees, and ordered mine, I bet mine would come out way cheaper.

Little known fact... some of these, "aftermarket bars," are remanufactured(used) gm bars with some nice red paint.

my bar is in great condition, btw. I'd take $80 shipped to your door.
Who?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Who?
I tried to look it up again and searched my favorites and everything. There were a lot of broken links. I read it within the last year. Anyways, I went with a Strano setup with my bars. Why would I buy another 32mm anyway if it came on my car stock? That was way before I bought my new ones. Google it, I'm sure you will find it.

Also, ask your self... Why would the aftermarket make something(32mm sway bars) that you can easily get at the dealership? Aftermarket is usually for stuff you can't get there.

btw, I want an answer from bmr on what I said on post #11...

Last edited by 7camaro7; 08-22-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are short on cash buy the one that 7camaro7 is selling.If you can swing it and want some bars that are way better, go with the Strano hollow set.That is what I have on my t/a and those babys are worth it big time.They make my car handle great.Ask anybody with the Strano sway bars and they really like them.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
I tried to look it up again and searched my favorites and everything. There were a lot of broken links. I read it within the last year. Anyways, I went with a Strano setup with my bars. Why would I buy another 32mm anyway if it came on my car stock? That was way before I bought my new ones. Google it, I'm sure you will find it.

Also, ask your self... Why would the aftermarket make something(32mm sway bars) that you can easily get at the dealership? Aftermarket is usually for stuff you can't get there.
They do it because most companies don't do any real "track testing" on their products. They look at the base Z28 which comes with a 30mm front/19mm rear, assume its balanced, so they bump up both sized 2mm to 32/22 just to get less body roll, again assuming its balanced but don't actually bother trying other sizes (otherwise they would know that its not as balanced as, say a 35/22 set). Sure they might drive the car around to test the actual bar itself, but not to test how its balanced.

This is just another reason I buy from strano, hes personally tried it all and has designed his suspension ground up for handling with his experience.

btw, I want an answer from bmr on what I said on post #11...
Don't count on them answering anything technical about handling...
Old 08-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Launching!

I took 7camaro7 up on his offer (thanks man). Now I need to get the end links. Where should I get those? Are the Auto Zone links ok? Or are they as crappy as most of the stuff they sell??
Old 08-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Teching In

I got a set of MOOG from O'reilly's when I replaced my coil-overs. I think they were $15.

Quick Reply: Broken front sway bar