Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Input shaft wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input shaft wear

I'm putting in a t-56 into my 91 Z-28. I got a used trans and noticed that there is some wear on the input shaft. When you run your finger over the shaft the is a small depression around the middle of the shaft where it goes into the pilot bearing. I installed the trans yesterday and it slipped right in. Did I just get lucky? Is there an acceptable amount of wear on the input shaft or should I replace it? I'm thinking about pulling the trans back out and buying another pilot bearing and slippng the new bearing over the input shaft just to see if there is any play. Ideas/suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

Its common to see the pilot tip worn like you are describing. I would need to see a high resolution picture to tell you whether it needs to be replaced or not.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Teching In

hope this works:
Input shaft wear-1.jpg
Doesn't look too bad to me? I will be using a pilot bearing. I had a bushing however, the OD of the bushing was too small, it just fell out of the crankshaft. The bearing seated with alittle tapping with the end of a socket.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

That definately needs to be replaced. Look at the shiny part near the splines. Follow the edge of it and you can see that a significant amount of material has been worn off.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Is this a difficult job for the average guy? It seems that the entire trans needs to be disassembled to replace the input shaft. If so, it might as well be completely rebuilt. This trans is used(obviously) and I was told that it shifted through all gears. This trans is going behind a fairly stout stroker(500 fwhp with a 100-200 shot in the near future). How much does a "complete" rebuild go for? Price on parts to do it myself or send it out. Thanks.
BTW this trans is from an LT-1

Last edited by remltr; 08-22-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Input shaft wear