Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Seperating Exhaust Pipes

Old 08-16-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Seperating Exhaust Pipes

I have a Flowmaster Cat-back that I am removing from the car. I have the tail pipes and the muffler off the car now all I have left is the over axle tube and the pipe that connects to the Y pipe. I can't separate the over axle tube from the other pipe. I can rotate the two relative to each other but I can't pull them apart. Any ideas?

Oh and I really don't want to cut it up.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soak with some PB Blaster. Then rotate, pull, and wiggle all at the same time.

If it's still stuck you can either gently hammer it off (place a small 2x4 on the pipe and hit the wood with a hammer) or heat the slip fit pipe with a torch. The cheap parts store propane torches will work, but you'll need to heat the metal for a good 20-30 minutes and even then the heat will be barely sufficient. An oxy-acetylene torch will make quick work if you have access.

Last resort would be a Dremel. Cut a small slit along the slip fit and see the first posted method.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, I ended up removing the PHR and the PHR cross car brace and then took both pipes out together. As soon as I got both pipes out I was able to pull them apart.

So I have a perfectly good Flowmaster Catback ready for sale.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

I would have got frustrated and used the good ol sawzaw. Glad you managed to save it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Seperating Exhaust Pipes