Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey JL ??? about PCV delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hey JL ??? about PCV delete

Will this work? And do I need to remove any of the baffles in the valve covers? Can I ditch the oil fill neck and just put the breather on the valve cover itself. Thanks George
Attached Thumbnails Hey JL ??? about PCV delete-013.jpg   Hey JL ??? about PCV delete-014.jpg   Hey JL ??? about PCV delete-015.jpg   Hey JL ??? about PCV delete-016.jpg   Hey JL ??? about PCV delete-017.jpg  

Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That will work just fine. You don't have to take the baffles out, I did only because the clearance was needed when I had the stock valve covers on the car, if you don't need the clearnance leave them in I'd say.

Just cap everything on the TB and intake, and you are good to go.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you, Sir.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what the point of this? does this increase power? the check valves on my stock setup both started leaking like crazy and i was told i need to redo it without the check valves some how? what is the benefit of this set up? and i would think the breather on the dr side is unnecessary..

i had an oil catch can hooked up with mine and the cheap lines my stupid self decided to use collapsed. i think the added pressure or lack of pressure, busted seals in the check valves somehow.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 AM
Race your car!

The advantage of this, is that you're venting the crankcase pressure to the atmosphere, rather then letting the engine suck it into the intake, dirtying up the intake charge, oil coating the intake, ports in the heads, back of the valves don't get gummed up, etc.etc.

The only downside, is that you need to change the oil more frequestly because the contaiminents aren't getting sucked out the same way anymore. Best thing to do, is change your oil twice as often if it's a street car, or if it's a track only car just change it every trip and you're good. Always get the engine up to temp, then drain the oil, this will help ensure the contaminents are all in the oil and not sitting in the engine somewhere.

Oil catch can's are a great way to go to help PREVENT the problem, but it does not get rid of the problem completely. This, will eliminate the intake tract from contamination 100%.

Try this for anyone that doesn't believe, take yout TB off and look inside, pr better yet pull the intake, and spray a can of carb clean in it and see what comes out. Then, do this setup (back breather too, helps trust me) and then pull the intake 5000 miles later and see what it looks like. If you cleaned everything out, it will be spotless.

Only downside, is the oil needs to be changed more often, but that's not a huge deal to me, I change it after every track trip wether I make 1 pass or 10.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

hmm...well thanks for the info it was very informative. ill most definitely be running this setup in the next few days.

1 more question... is the breather & t-fitting needed on the dr side hose?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use JL's old Catch can and for this stockish car it is fine. After putting headers on the car, I started to suck oil, but when it was stock and a lid, it was not having the issue.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solution

use some vacum source other than the throttle body along w/ a catch can and both problems are fixed.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Race your car!

A vacum pump is the best route... but if you can't float one, this will definately work.

I always Tee'd the back connections together and put a 2nd breather on back there just to make sure the engine had plenty of breathing.

can you get away with just connecting both sides with a hose, probably... I would rather have too much ventilation then not enough.

If you have a ls6 type valley cover with a connection there, I'd run a line from that to the TB hookup on the passenger's side valvecover.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

i would just think that the breather at the rear of the engine would not be needed because the pressure from that dr side valve cover would be released into the pass side valve cover and then be released out the breather on that side... thus eliminating the t fitting and the breather that would other wise look kinda odd and cluttered. i just dont wanna open my hood and see breathers everywhere lol.... well, unless they are needed.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

well my car has an ls1 but is an 01 model which came out with the ls6 intake manifold if im not mistaken.. now my questions now would be..

1. would i have the ls6 connection in the back or was that only on the ls6 engines? i would go look but i cant really see back there and dont have a small mirror

2. ive heard that have breather set ups like this eventually greases up the engine bay is this true? my guess is it would depend on the filter
Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Race your car!

You won't have the ls6 valley cover connection, so you just need to loop the 2 covers together and T them if you want to, probably don't have to I just do it to be safe.

As for greasing the engine bay up, I ran my car for a year with the same setup as above, and just kept the filter's clean that was it and never really had an issue. Now that I have aftermarket valve covers on, I ran a -10AN line to a moroso breather can, and drain the can every now and then. It gets some sludge in the can, I guess without the can that would be in the engine bay... but I dunno. It's not alot, and if you stay up on your cleaning maintenance I don't see it being a problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

alrighty sounds good and thanks for all the help ima go put this stuff to use!