General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is causing this?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is causing this?

To start my car is in sig. It is not my DD. It has been driven less than 500 miles since Feb. My car has been completely untouched in around a month. Today I go to crank it let it warm up then cruise around a little bit. It doesn't crank at all (battery) I replace the battery and it cranks right up. It doesn't idle at the cold rpm of ~1000rpm instead it stays at 400rpm for about 10 seconds then goes up to ~800. I go to back it out of the driveway and as soon as I press the clutch it drops back down to 400rpms. I drive around taking it easy and it drives fine unless I come to a stop every time I stop it idles down to 400rpms then steadily rises up to 800rpms. Down the highway I was in different speeds and at 3000-3500 rpms. at 75% throttle it would sometimes hesitate then "pick up" and be just fine. My car has thrown no codes I checked with my scanner and does not sound like it is misfiring. I drove around and brought it back and let it idle in the driveway for around 3 minutes. The rpms didn't drop at all with the clutch out but when I pushed it in it would drop down to 400 rpms then rise back up to 800rpms and stay there. Sorry this was a long post but I didn't want to leave out any details.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you need a regular tune up. Plugs n wires, Id also throw some seafoam in there and change the oil. AND drive it more often! Keeps everything fresh. If that doesnt work well then, Im not really sure you'll need someone with more exp. with this issue.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The plugs and wires are less than 1k miles old. They are NGK TR6's and the wires are MSD. I changed the oil in March of this year with Royal Purple so the oil shouldn't be bad. My car has 85k miles on it. I am thinking it could be fuel related i.e. filter or injectors. Also could it be bad gas it does have a full tank and I top it off every time after I drive it. How long does it take for gas to go "bad" it's is Shell 93 octane.

Search this Thread