Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter vs MSD's 2-step

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lingenfelter vs MSD's 2-step

I had my mind all made up to buy a Lingenfelter LNC-003, and now I see that MSD has a 2-step for the LS motor as well, and its $50 cheaper. I'm not finding install instructions on MSD's site, but it's for sale on a sponsor site (ls1speed)... so i'm just wondering if anyone has it yet and can say anything about how it was to install and use.

http://www.msdignition.com/product.a...285&terms=8733
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Category_Code=
Old 08-16-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Lingenfelter one, and had some problems with it. After dealing with their horrible customer service, if I could do it all over again, I would try the MSD. Just my .02.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the msd box and got to use it at the track a couple times so far and it works great. its just one wire that needs to either go to a hot wire or a ground to activte it and the harness that goes in between the stock harness and the coil pack connector. it can be set in 100 rpm increments with the 2 dials on the box. i wired mine up to my clutch button and put another button inline with it so i can completely disable it when i dd it.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by built408
I have the Lingenfelter one, and had some problems with it. After dealing with their horrible customer service, if I could do it all over again, I would try the MSD. Just my .02.
what kind of problem did you have? the instructions are kinda beefy, but it doesnt look too bad to install as long as you arent trying to do anything too funky.

Originally Posted by spook99maro
i have the msd box and got to use it at the track a couple times so far and it works great. its just one wire that needs to either go to a hot wire or a ground to activte it and the harness that goes in between the stock harness and the coil pack connector. it can be set in 100 rpm increments with the 2 dials on the box. i wired mine up to my clutch button and put another button inline with it so i can completely disable it when i dd it.
so with one wire, it doesnt have a rev-limiter function, right?
does it drop your RPMs when you push in the clutch to shift? one of the reasons i wanted to get one of these was to help with WOT shifts.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

^^^Correct.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

i was asking about this in the lt1 section... the two step kicks in while shifting and cuts power making shifting easier.... i would like this on my car also...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by built408
*******EDIT********
After posting some very nice comments about Lingebfelters customer service I had the displeasure of personaly finding out I was very WRONG. Lingenfeters customer service SUCKS. Just my opinion and its not worth going into but I will never again do business with them

Last edited by koolrayz; 08-19-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: New information
Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

im wanna know more... has any one used a line lock on the clutch along with a 2 step? if done right u can make a sick car kick as in the 60 fts
Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

as would i? heard about this while watching power block on spike
Old 08-18-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

if would be nice if you could put the MSD 2 step box inside the car so you can make adjustments to your launch rpm without opening the hood..
Old 08-18-2009, 03:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

scribing
Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 AM
9 Second Club

LNC-003 is a TWO step...two different steps you can adjust...MSD is just one. I have the Lingenfelter and have no problems with it and it works really well. Think about the possibilities....
Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 AM
8 Second Club

I finaly gave up on my lingenfelter NO step.
After countles conversations on the phone and hours working on the car, testing, Shielding and grounding entire sections of the cars wiring, changing to a different type of plug wires, running the twostep trigger on a standalone battery with a third battery on the transmission brake so as to completely isolate the units.
Yesterday I got my MSD one step. hooked it up and it works great.
Does the lingenfucker have more options sure. But the only option I really need does not work. So yes with the lingenfelter you can imagine the possibilities,,,,,,, but that's all you can do is imagine because it DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!
I have been in touch with a friend here in Ohio that has the exact same issue. When I talked to him last night he was going to order an MSD today.
So if anybody still wants one of these wonderful lingenfucker two steps send me a PM, I know where there are a couple for sale.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:59 AM
9 Second Club

Sorry to hear that and understand your feelings. I had an issue with my original 2 step and Jason bent over backwards to help me find the problem. He later (weeks) called me to let me know about the release of the LNC-003 and it has worked like a charm. On a pro tree I NEED the extra step the LNC-003 provides. Good luck with the MSD and I hope that you are happy now
Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM
8 Second Club

I can bring my car to 6-7psi foot braking maybe more thats all I have it set at launching. I footbrake into the second bulb and then activate the transbrake/two step.
Jason was attentive on the phone but in the end did nothing but waste my time. The real a$$ chapper for me was when they convinced me I needed the noise suppression diode. I ordered it and said I wanted it delivered fast and with no signature required. I paid almost $18 for shipping. It was shipped signature required so I could NOT get my part. I called and complained. I even talked to the superviser. He told me I should have known that USPS express mail would only ship signature required. Well how the hell was I supposed to know that when they did not say they were shipping it through the post office.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

seems some of these electronics manufacturers could do a better job testing their product b4 shipping it out.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Does the MSD shut the fuel and spark off, or just the spark?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolrayz
I can bring my car to 6-7psi foot braking maybe more thats all I have it set at launching. I footbrake into the second bulb and then activate the transbrake/two step.
Jason was attentive on the phone but in the end did nothing but waste my time. The real a$$ chapper for me was when they convinced me I needed the noise suppression diode. I ordered it and said I wanted it delivered fast and with no signature required. I paid almost $18 for shipping. It was shipped signature required so I could NOT get my part. I called and complained. I even talked to the superviser. He told me I should have known that USPS express mail would only ship signature required. Well how the hell was I supposed to know that when they did not say they were shipping it through the post office.
I had nothing but problems with Lingenfelter also. I will agree with you that their customer service SUCKS.

I used it once off the t-brake and it never worked again. Checked, and double checked everything, and finally called and talked to Lingenfelter. After they made me feel like an idiot, I decided to just send it in(under warranty).

After 3 weeks I finally had to call and check on it myself. Well long story short, after they got my box mixed up with 3 others, and told me 3 different stories on what was wrong with it, (all of which were my fault) another 2 weeks later they shipped me somebody elses 2-step. I even asked them several times, to make sure you have the right box.

Also, in their wiring diagrams they show nothing about a noise supression diode. You have to pretty much read the fine print.

I would have to think real hard before buying a product from them again.

Last edited by built408; 09-06-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Default installing mymsd 2 step today...

im going to be installing my 2 step today. According to the instructions with a manual I should use only the whtie/blue wire to the clutch switch wire (12 volts)...which wire is that? according to a wiring diagram I have, the clutch switch connector is a 4 wire. (brown/white, pink, gray, black/white)

the brown/white is cpp switch signal
the pink is ignition 1 voltage
the gray is cpp switch signal
the black is ground

so I'm guessing either the brown/white wire or gray???
where is everyone hooking theirs to that have a manual??

http://www.msdignition.com/instructi...pdf?terms=8733

Last edited by winger4800; 10-07-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Restricted User

had alot of problems with mine...at one point it completely killed my car and would only run after I un-pluged it....try the MSD one and let us all know how it works...

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter vs MSD's 2-step