Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch vs. Hendrix Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS7 clutch vs. Hendrix Clutch

I have a 04 CTS-V with T56.

My friend that just bought the LS7 clutch/fw/p/plate took a bunch of measurements for me to compare to my Hendrix Clutch/fw/p plate I got from Thomas.

FYI: The CTS-V's have dual mass fw, so we have to get LS7 slave to make up the difference for the new fw.

So check this out:

The stack height on the LS7 entire pkg is right at 4"

The stack height on my Hendrix pkg is 3.5"

I think the difference is coming from the raised up portions on the LS7 fw....

And just so you can see how the clutch disc sits on the LS7 fw....

Does this mean I'm going to need a 1/2" behind my slave? Or can I not measure by this method??

Here's some pics of the Hendrix clutch, fw, p plate.....I went with organic/ceramic on the clutch.

PLEASE HELP!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it! Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

based on your pics, I would think you would need to shim for the difference. If I read all your info correctly.

You Have a CTSv w/ a clutch kit stacked height of 4" vs the new kit that is 3.5". BUT with the new kit your FW shaved down that 1/2" so in essence there should be no need to adjust. Yes the stacked hight is not as much but I would wager since it is the same motor/trans, that the slave will compensate for the diff.

Mmmmhm, I am curious as well, does Hendrix require a shim at all??
Old 08-17-2009, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

You need to swap the slave cylinder out with a modified slave from a C6, we've got numerous Monster Clutches in the CTS-V's out there and you cannot use the stock slave with that setup.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not just give a generic "yes, you need a x/x" spacer" personally. What I would do is install the flywheel and clutch assembly and lay a straight edge across the clutch fingers. Measure from there to the trans mounting surface on the block. Then assemble the slave and bell housing to the trans and collapse the slave fully by hand and measure from the mounting face of the bell housing (where it goes to the block) to the face of the collapsed slave/throw out bearing. You need an air gap of approx 1/8" or just a touch under between the collapsed slave and pressure plate fingers. Anything over that is how thick your spacer will need to be.

Hope this helps.
Joe

Edit- I just saw SNL's post. That sounds like the correct setup, but I still never personally install a clutch without measuring the air gap first just to be safe. That is probably the #1 cause for all the shifting and longevity problems you read about with various clutches!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Internet Mechanic

^ That is what i was thinking but was not 100% sure.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
I would not just give a generic "yes, you need a x/x" spacer" personally. What I would do is install the flywheel and clutch assembly and lay a straight edge across the clutch fingers. Measure from there to the trans mounting surface on the block. Then assemble the slave and bell housing to the trans and collapse the slave fully by hand and measure from the mounting face of the bell housing (where it goes to the block) to the face of the collapsed slave/throw out bearing. You need an air gap of approx 1/8" or just a touch under between the collapsed slave and pressure plate fingers. Anything over that is how thick your spacer will need to be.

Hope this helps.
Joe

Edit- I just saw SNL's post. That sounds like the correct setup, but I still never personally install a clutch without measuring the air gap first just to be safe. That is probably the #1 cause for all the shifting and longevity problems you read about with various clutches!
This is the same method I went by when building my custom set-up for my '67. Take your time and measure several times to ensure repeatability. Before doing this method, I ended up R&Ring my trans at least 6 times, very frustrating.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
You need to swap the slave cylinder out with a modified slave from a C6, we've got numerous Monster Clutches in the CTS-V's out there and you cannot use the stock slave with that setup.
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
^ That is what i was thinking but was not 100% sure.
Hey SNL and Screamin- just so you know, this is Joe P (kwiktsi) on the other boards .

Originally Posted by madmaro00
This is the same method I went by when building my custom set-up for my '67. Take your time and measure several times to ensure repeatability. Before doing this method, I ended up R&Ring my trans at least 6 times, very frustrating.
Yup, I went through it with a couple of Specs and just make it part of my clutch install to measure now. Too many problems with the "should I use the shim or not?" installs, so this just eliminates any guesswork!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is what you are talking about, correct? I was hoping to get the measurements I need before I tore it all apart, but I guess I'm going to need to take it apart huh?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I bought a brand new LS7 slave for the setup. Can't I just that (with LAPD remote bleeder) and a spacer/shim behind it?

What do you modify to your C6 slave? Just the distance? Does it make up the difference going from the dual mass fw to the single mass?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
based on your pics, I would think you would need to shim for the difference. If I read all your info correctly.

You Have a CTSv w/ a clutch kit stacked height of 4" vs the new kit that is 3.5". BUT with the new kit your FW shaved down that 1/2" so in essence there should be no need to adjust. Yes the stacked hight is not as much but I would wager since it is the same motor/trans, that the slave will compensate for the diff.

Mmmmhm, I am curious as well, does Hendrix require a shim at all??
I have a stock LS6 clutch with a dual mass fw in my car now.

The LS7 measurements are from a buddy from the Cadillac Forum.

Hendrix told me it was a LS7 setup....but I think it's a LS6 fw.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
This is what you are talking about, correct? I was hoping to get the measurements I need before I tore it all apart, but I guess I'm going to need to take it apart huh?

That's it. They were taking the measurements with the bell housing on the motor, I was describing it with it on the trans. Six in one, half dozen the other but I actually do it the way it was mentioned in the diagram (bell on motor), I don't know why I described it the other way.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

When you put a big spacer/shim behind the slave.....do you just go get longer same thread pattern bolts for the slave from lowes or something?

What slave am I going to need here? Help please!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Shane this really sucks! Hope you get it taken care of!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

tell me about it! i've been going ape **** trying to follow it... i dont know whether to get the h.e., just ls7, or monster... bullshit with all of them!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO
Shane this really sucks! Hope you get it taken care of!
Thanks. Ya me too....this is nonsense!

I can't figure out what slave I need. I need to know the coefficient of friction on the materials, and plate load to see if this will even works on our 3800lb pigs. <- my local clutch guy is wanting to know these things, cuz he's baflled too.....and that's not good.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SoJersey05V
tell me about it! i've been going ape **** trying to follow it... i dont know whether to get the h.e., just ls7, or monster... bullshit with all of them!
I can tell you that none of the clutches listed are the same as Monster. We've got a CTS-V package and we have quite a few in customers cars. Give us a call if you want to discuss a clutch for your car.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Greeeeaattt....he told me it was the same as monster clutch parts, and that the fw was fidanza.

I guess I'll be calling you and see what your kit is all about. It's plug and play, right?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Greeeeaattt....he told me it was the same as monster clutch parts, and that the fw was fidanza.

I guess I'll be calling you and see what your kit is all about. It's plug and play, right?
Monster clutches are superior imho to Hendrix clutches, far more R&D. Thomas is a good guy and sells good products too but Monster is just a step ahead. By the way I have had both companies clutches in my old GTO.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:50 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, they are a plug and play setup. Give us a call and let me know what we can do for you.

We are often immitated, but never truly duplicated.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch vs. Hendrix Clutch