Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyway to tell if headgasket is in backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Anyway to tell if headgasket is in backwards?

Anyway to tell if the head gasket is on backwards? I might have put one on backwards but im not going to tear it down for nothing and the ect sensor is going crazy so i dont want to find out by just letting it run and see if it overheats....Any clues to tell me which is the top while the head is bolted down??
Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Coolant passages is the easiest way but you can't see them. Which gaskets are they?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's an MLS gasket, the easiest way to tell is the metal tab that sticks out on the front part of the gasket. I grabbed a pic for you and circled what I'm talking about. You'll also notice the "front" I circled. Those two tabs needs to be towards the front of the motor, not on the back. You can see them standing over the engine.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Anyway to tell if headgasket is in backwards?-headgasket.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Launching!

When I had the motor out and the other gasket out I couldnt notice any tab or something to identify what I needed. Was hoping there was some secret tip that could tell me, the gaskets I used were the ones I got from advance in their computer made by Felpro....Not a crazy build and wasnt my car so thats what I used...

Only reason I'm asking is the motor I just built is overheating and wanted to know for sure its the hg and not because I didnt burp the system enough or something....

Is there any special way to fill these things with coolant? any bleeder screws?

Could I diagnose my problem with a laser heat gun? compare the front and rear temps of the head to the other or something?? I really dont want waste the money on new gaskets and head bolts
Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 PM
LSX Mechanic

Felpro gaskets are the same exact gasket as the GM gasket, and will have the tabs. I use them all the time.

Water pump maybe?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Well it cooled fine last time it was together then sat a year....I might try a new t-stat in case its stuck closed or something....hopefully

and Ill deff check for those tabs when I go over there tonight
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM
LSX Mechanic

If you didn't properly burp the system, it's going to have air in it and overheat. Just an FYI.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Just curious, how do you properly burp the system?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To burp the cooling system, get the front of the engine higher than the rear (lift front of car), and undo the the hose from the crossover steam tube (in front of the intake manifold) and let coolant/air bleed out...

if you attach a clear hose to the crossover (and direct the other end into a water/beer bottle, container, or something to collect coolant) and you will see air bubbles in the coolant as it passes thru the clear tube... when you see only coolant and no air in the clear tube then all the air has been burped out, put the hose back on, and top up the radiator and overflow container.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joecar
To burp the cooling system, get the front of the engine higher than the rear (lift front of car), and undo the the hose from the crossover steam tube (in front of the intake manifold) and let coolant/air bleed out...

if you attach a clear hose to the crossover (and direct the other end into a water/beer bottle, container, or something to collect coolant) and you will see air bubbles in the coolant as it passes thru the clear tube... when you see only coolant and no air in the clear tube then all the air has been burped out, put the hose back on, and top up the radiator and overflow container.
Im gonna try that, I think its just air in the system....if you put a hose on the crossover then in a bottle, what about the empty nipple that is now open from the radiator? I assume coolant is going to come out of there now?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM
LSX Mechanic

I just leave the radiator cap off while it's running tills it's done popping bubbles. Worked fine for me for 12+ yrs on F-bodies.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Notmyvette
Im gonna try that, I think its just air in the system....if you put a hose on the crossover then in a bottle, what about the empty nipple that is now open from the radiator? I assume coolant is going to come out of there now?
Coolant may dribble out, just place a rag under it.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damian
I just leave the radiator cap off while it's running tills it's done popping bubbles. Worked fine for me for 12+ yrs on F-bodies.
I tried it like that and it just wouldn't work for me... I can't explain why...
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to fill the engine with coolant by pouring it directly into the upper radiator hose. If you just fill the radiator with both hoses connected the water doesn't fill the block due to the thermostat being on the inlet side of the pump.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Regular

This is where an Electric Waterpump is REAL nice!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
I like to fill the engine with coolant by pouring it directly into the upper radiator hose. If you just fill the radiator with both hoses connected the water doesn't fill the block due to the thermostat being on the inlet side of the pump.
The one hose from the coolant tank goes to the heater core I believe, and the other goes to the engine....but doesnt that go to the engine side of the thermostat? it looks like it.that would mean it fills up the block.

Im also going to check the temp of the lower rad hose, if it doesnt get hot with the engine temp I know the thermostats stuck closed.

Tonight I'm going to put the front end on wheel ramps, disconnect the steam tube line at the radiator and see what comes out while its running out, hopefully a mess of air comes out and it stops overheatingggg
Old 08-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Damian
If you didn't properly burp the system, it's going to have air in it and overheat. Just an FYI.
very true, run it untill it gets to about 230, shut it off let it cool down, run it again, we did this about three times and the coolant just started droppin like crfazy

Quick Reply: Anyway to tell if headgasket is in backwards?