Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just wanted a second voice to make sure I am right

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wanted a second voice to make sure I am right

i am currently preping my LS1 motor to go into my 69 nova and I am pretty sure all the EGR/ Air tubes go away for this swap. And I just wanted to make sure I was right and if that is the case the large hole on the intake man should be blocked off i know. But with what could I just go to the hardware store and get a plug or does someone make a nice looking block off plate for this.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. just do away with all of the EGR and AIR equipement. Strip out the extra wire and connectors.

You can just plug it with a freeze plug. Other options are to buy a GM PN 12558346, which is designed to plug the intakes EGR port. S&P also markets plugs for it.

Make sure you have the Codes Flashed out of the PCM.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Default Thank you

Hey thanks man it seems like the farther I get into this swap better it actually looks. A few weeks back I was kinda down about it but i am quite sure about it now. Anyways thanks again and I will be sure to keep you guys posted on my progress.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With all of the information that you can find and the many X-Body swaps, you should be able to get yours up and running without too much problems.. just don't loose too much sleep over your project. Just do some research and ask a question..

Throw some picture up on your next post ! I am going to start my 2nd swap next year.. my 71 Nova.... got a wrecked 02 Z28.. so.. I have been following many of the Nova threads with interest..
Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to hear you're thinking more optimistically about the Nova!!

Definitely need to post some pics, you've got a couple threads already but no pics!!! Everyone on this forum likes looking at cool pictures

Did you decide against asking me any of those questions you had about the swap? Don't hesitate to ask! Also always remember, other than hood clearance and possibly accessory-to-radiator clearance, this is the exact same swap as 1st-gen Camaro's, for which there is TONS of info.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Default Hey

No I am still going to give you a call for sure to pick your brain just have been super busy with work and preping the swap. But I am off this weekend and planed on giving you a call. Also is there any other easyer way to post pic's that I am missing.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped out and saw his work, he's doing a great job. Now if he's only kill off all those mosquitos
Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you need the egr? I just bought a LS1 intake off eBay w/no egr and the owner is supplying the block off plug for it.

I know when I was doing my TPI swap egr was supposed to be an essential function of the engine, while some people deleted it...it was actually better to keep it.

Is that the case with LS1 engines? I don't have to worry about emmisions and the less clutter the better.....but if there is a benefit I want to try and track down a egr valve.

The egr function is one thing that has always baffled me

Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not need the EGR unless your local regulations require it. Most of the swaps into early vehicles have removed it. There is no performance or drivability benefit to keeping it.

Pat

Quick Reply: Just wanted a second voice to make sure I am right