General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaking noise from engine when i accelerate??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking noise from engine when i accelerate??

Alright, when the car is idling i can't hear the squeak, but when i rev the motor i hear squeaking...It seems to be coming from the motor and it gets faster the higher you rev the car...It's a really weird sound and seems to be coming from the driver side valve cover area...(Just a guess, but very hard to tell) I really don't think it's coming from the pulley area. I was hoping, but it definitely sounds more like somewhere around the motor. I'm hoping it's nothing serious, but I'm going to baby the car and not take any chances. At this point, i really don't have the money to fix anything major, but what should i do for maintenance to make it better? I mean, is this something that is just going to make the car break down?

It never did this before today and i have a feeling it's something not good...

I just found this video and it's pretty much exactly what my car is doing...Although, i didn't think it was coming from a pulley. Maybe i'll take a closer look. It sounds just like this though. (very close) Not sure what kind of car this is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWU36hny-EE

Last edited by Camaro 0wner; 08-18-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely an idler or tensioner pulley.

Re-pack with grease or replace. You can I.D. which one is the culprit by changing tension on the spring with a wrench. BE CAREFUL!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Most likely an idler or tensioner pulley.

Re-pack with grease or replace. You can I.D. which one is the culprit by changing tension on the spring with a wrench. BE CAREFUL!
But, wouldn't i hear that noise at idle?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Not necessarily. You can also use a mechanics stethoscope to find it...probably safer than trying to get in there with a wrench.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, so it ended up being the belt...
Old 08-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Wow, so it ended up being the belt...
I'll tell ya something about belts.....the factory tensioner is one of those completely horrible GM designs. It bounces as the engines running and everytime you accelerate and take your foot off the gas pedal. That is what causes "belt stretch", then they squeak, get looser and wear out or fly off.

I bought my Katech tensioner which does not flex at all, its a fixed tensioner. ZERO bounce no matter what you do. I was throwing my belt when I smacked my throttle when I got my 427ci put in because it couldn't handle it. I was told to get the Katech tensioner. I did that and bought a new belt......that was 6+ years ago. Same belt, its still just as tight as it was when I put it on and the tensioner is in the same exact place every time I have to remove the belt for maintenance reasons.

Get one of them and your serpentine belt should last 10 years.

You'll notice right now where your indicator is on your tensioner, take a look at in 4 months. It will be stretched already.

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise from engine when i accelerate??