Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking to get rid of some of my body roll

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get rid of some of my body roll

I go in a straight line alot, but when I am cornering I have ALOT of body roll I was wondering what I would be able to do to get rid of some of it. Any insight would be great
Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know sway bars supposedly really help cornering, but hurt straight line. Although, just upgrade and disconnect the front one at the track.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would probably get a good set of shocks first.Koni 4/3 sa's is what I have on my t/a.Sway bars do help a lot for cornering.I want a car that can go straight and be glued to the ground on corners.It all depends on your goals.Do you want to
only go straight or do you also want a car that good for drags and corners or?
What is it you want from your car?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:08 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
To help eliminate a lot of the body roll. Like mentioned above I would suggest a set of sway bars. All of our sway bars feature Energy Suspension Bushings. And we also offer them in red or black as well. Below is a link to show you what UMI Performance has too offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...fpv4qflo34d4j2

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

call Sam.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
when I am cornering I have ALOT of body roll I was wondering what I would be able to do to get rid of some of it. Any insight would be great
Why get rid of some of it? Is the car tight? Is it loose?

Body roll is weight transfer. The weight transfer applies pressure to a corner(s) and increases grip.

Remember, these are 2 ton, nose heavy pigs on street type tires, not 1500lb, F1 cars.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car is a DD with BMR front/rear sway bars. It helped my boy roll tremendously in cornering, but as a DD im thinking of switching back to stock because I have my koni's on the way and mainly because the aftermarket sway bars make those bumps in the road hurt ALOT more.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I go in a straight line alot, but when I am cornering I have ALOT of body roll I was wondering what I would be able to do to get rid of some of it. Any insight would be great

Here is a link to a suspension tutorial. It is for Miata racers, but will provide an understanding of which are the best combination of suspension changes to effect cornering. The link allows the user to make changes in suspension parts then then displays the calculated difference the change made. You can relate the change to what DD'ers & racers use; on the spread sheet. This should help you to make an informed decision as to what areas you want to change. Although, it is Miata based (IRS & short wheel base) it will help. Once you decide on what you want to do, then just contact an LS1TECH sponsor for the parts. Fatcat does not sell GM related parts. The link is posted only as a tutorial for general information. Good-luck

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FRC...S_TUTORIAL.htm
Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The AMOUNT of body roll is handled by springs and sway bars. Shocks do not limit the amount, but change the speed at which it's generated. All three make huge differences in how the car drives. But springs are damped by shocks. Bars are not. Further, bars have little effect on ride quality if the are installed correctly and they don't add unsprung weight (all bigger rear bars that are solid do this)--hollow rears actually save weight and that weight is mass that has to move up and down over road imperfections. This is why so many cars are now using so much aluminum in the suspension, to keep that unsprung mass down.

Want to fix body roll? Put a set of bigger bars on the car. I'll recommend either my own Hollow set @ $415 http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=126&ModelID=7, or UMI's (which I also sell because unlike others I believe in offering options) for $319. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=126&ModelID=7. The hardware is different, and there is the matter of about 20 pounds of weight difference. But both are balanced the way they should be, 32/22 or 35/25 combinations are, from my findings, too rear biased on the stiffness. And with a 32mm front bar you are simply giving away roll stiffness on the heavier end of the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would do the koni's first if you can swing it and then the Strano hollow sway bars.By
the way the sway bars made very little difference in the ride quality.You will be supprised what a huge difference those two things will do.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

or you could get my gm hollow 32mm front bar which will match your factory 19mm. From your avator it looks like you've got a Formula which has a 30mm front/19mm rear. With my 32mm you don't have to worry about changing the rear and the balance of your car will feel more like a ws6 or SS. I took the one I have off of my SS. It can be had for cheap. If not, holler at strano.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"A LOT" of body roll is a relative term. A lot compared to what? To another car, or to what your car used to have?

Possibly you have some worn/broken parts. Check that first. If everything is OK, but you still want flatter cornering, then upgrade shocks/springs/sway bars.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Just want to be clear.... there is a difference between how much roll, and how fast it's generated.

While shocks alone do not cut the amount of roll overall, they slow it down tremendously which in turn makes the car feel a lot less floppy, and has folks saying (hey it doesn't roll anymore!).

Bars will actually cut the amount of roll. The car will feel less floppy because it just doesn't roll as far.

So, how do you decide which to do if both will help? For me it comes down to whether the car needs shocks otherwise. Does it ride like crap? Shocks will help that, bars will not. Does it feel like it's not solidly in the road, kind of floating on top of it? Shocks will help with that, bars can depending on when it happens. Does the rear end jump around on not-perfect pavement? Shocks again.

If you have none of the above issues, then bars first. If you do, you can still do bars and you will see a big improvement... but I'm with transwiz, I'd start with shocks because they have a bigger effect on more thing *provided* you have the above issues. If you don't then do bars straight away.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Looking to get rid of some of my body roll