Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need advice on my future suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Need advice on my future suspension setup

Took me a while for me to figure out what I wanted in my car, but I think I want to mod my car to be more stable.

I've found between my last car and my new car (95 3800II and my new 95 LT1) that bumps in the road while accelerating cause it to feel unstable. I live on the east coast of Canada so road conditions are horrible.

Pretty much, if I hit a pothole or a bump or something while coming onto it or going around a corner, I want it to not be affected by it. Hard to explain, hoping someone can chime in.

I already have a non sponsors LCAs, havent put them in yet, open to recommendations.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get some koni 4/4 or 4/3 shocks first.I have the koni 4/3 sa shocks on my t/a and
they made a world of difference.The car was way more predictable.Call up Sam Strano at
Strano performance and see what he has to say.1-800-729-1831.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Epro
Took me a while for me to figure out what I wanted in my car, but I think I want to mod my car to be more stable.

I've found between my last car and my new car (95 3800II and my new 95 LT1) that bumps in the road while accelerating cause it to feel unstable. I live on the east coast of Canada so road conditions are horrible.

Pretty much, if I hit a pothole or a bump or something while coming onto it or going around a corner, I want it to not be affected by it. Hard to explain, hoping someone can chime in.

I already have a non sponsors LCAs, havent put them in yet, open to recommendations.
Hello, thats my suggestion. A good set of shock and sway bars will make the car alot more responsive and stable. Here is a link to our page to show you what BMR has to offer. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

It's a shock problem above all. Koni's are great, don't know if you need to go that way because it's really the top of the top. In fact, to varying degrees, a lot of shocks will help you out vs. what are presumably 14 year old stock dampers.

I carry Tokico, KYB AGX, Bilstein, Koni... also Edelbrock (but they are adjustable height coil-over front, and more similar to Koni than Bilstein on price). I also have some things that I can sell, but wouldn't recommend--like Monroe and Gabriel.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Epro

I doubt the LCA's are going to do much for the problem.
This is a pretty common question/complaint about fbodies and I know exactly what you are talking about, stock (non-1LE) Fbodies don't feel that stable around turns or at high speed. The rear end likes to kick out unexpectedly, the car likes to skip over bumps and wiggle around.
Assuming nothing is broken, the sole #1 reason for this is the factory shock valving. Buying new OEM replacement shocks won't fix anything because the problem isn't in the wear and tear, its in how the shock is valved. Getting some GOOD VALVED shocks will have you wondering why GM even went with the stock decarbons. Not only will this fix your stability problem, but the car will have awesome balance (neutral at the limits), better grip, better responses, and better ride quality (no more rattles!).
I wouldn't bother with any other suspension mods until you deal with shocks first, they are the weak link.
Now I personally would highly suggest some koni's (http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7)[buying from stranoparts means you get install and setup details from Sam himself] if you want to get the said results I mentioned in the above paragraph, a lesser shock will leave you with either a worse ride, or not as good handling/control/balance.
Here is a similar thread to yours, note post #8 where I go in detail about my experience with the konis:https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-opinions.html
Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unstable sounds like shocks. Stock shocks are typically worn after short periods of time and have poor dampening capability.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if I hit a pothole, I want to not be affected by it". Maybe you really mean something else. That makes me think of when a Cadillac or Crown Vic cruises over bumps. The 4th gen fbody you will most likely feel the pothole one way or another. You can change the shocks and springs to handle the potholes a bit more to your preference. I would say just try not to hit potholes with the car though
Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Unstable sounds like shocks. Stock shocks are typically worn after short periods of time and have poor dampening capability.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if I hit a pothole, I want to not be affected by it". Maybe you really mean something else. That makes me think of when a Cadillac or Crown Vic cruises over bumps. The 4th gen fbody you will most likely feel the pothole one way or another. You can change the shocks and springs to handle the potholes a bit more to your preference. I would say just try not to hit potholes with the car though
W/ a good set of dampers (cough Koni) you'll still feel the pothole but it isn't going to upset the balance of the car like many lesser shocks have issues with.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I doubt the LCA's are going to do much for the problem.
This is a pretty common question/complaint about fbodies and I know exactly what you are talking about, stock (non-1LE) Fbodies don't feel that stable around turns or at high speed. The rear end likes to kick out unexpectedly, the car likes to skip over bumps and wiggle around.
Assuming nothing is broken, the sole #1 reason for this is the factory shock valving. Buying new OEM replacement shocks won't fix anything because the problem isn't in the wear and tear, its in how the shock is valved. Getting some GOOD VALVED shocks will have you wondering why GM even went with the stock decarbons. Not only will this fix your stability problem, but the car will have awesome balance (neutral at the limits), better grip, better responses, and better ride quality (no more rattles!).
I wouldn't bother with any other suspension mods until you deal with shocks first, they are the weak link.
Now I personally would highly suggest some koni's (http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7)[buying from stranoparts means you get install and setup details from Sam himself] if you want to get the said results I mentioned in the above paragraph, a lesser shock will leave you with either a worse ride, or not as good handling/control/balance.
Here is a similar thread to yours, note post #8 where I go in detail about my experience with the konis:https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-opinions.html
Awesome! Thanks, soon as I get some money Ill get myself a set.

Last edited by Epro; 08-19-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
W/ a good set of dampers (cough Koni) you'll still feel the pothole but it isn't going to upset the balance of the car like many lesser shocks have issues with.
Bingo!