Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Issue installing LG Motorsports adjustable PHB

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 02:53 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Issue installing LG Motorsports adjustable PHB

Curious if anyone has had this problem...

I went to put my rear end all back together Sunday morning, and was just about finished... went to put on the LG Motorsports adjustable panhard bar I bought, got the bushing end on, and then went to mount the rod end, and found I couldn't get the bolt it.. it was driving me nuts.... So I dropped the bar back down, and tried the bolt in the hole just to make sure everything was aligned right..

And that was when I found that the metal bushings for the rod end are physically too small for the panhard bolt to fit through them.

Of all things I would run into, I would think this would be the last one. It says in the instructions to use the stock PHB bolts, but how can I if they don't fit?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One bushing is supposed to be larger than the other. The bolt itself is stepped to different sizes.

Did you try swapping sides with the bushings?
Old 11-24-2003, 09:21 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by mitchntx
One bushing is supposed to be larger than the other. The bolt itself is stepped to different sizes.

Did you try swapping sides with the bushings?
The bolt wouldn't fit through either of them, and the stepped portion is long enough that even if it fit through one, it would have to fit through the other in order to be installed.

This whole panhard bar thing has been a real pain in the ***.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

It'll fit ... I just installed the G2 PHB recently.

Someone at LG's screwed up and sent you a wrong bushing. You have 2 backside bushings, and no front side.

Call them and they will send you another out ASAP.

I know it's frustrating and a royal PITA. Mistakes happen.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's very odd. I thought mine didn't fit either but then I looked closer at the metal bushings and they are two different sizes. If you don't have two different sizes, then someone messed up.

It does fit if everything is right. Like said though, just call them up and get a proper bushing, I'm sure that's all that it is.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:33 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Someone at LG's screwed up and sent you a wrong bushing. You have 2 backside bushings, and no front side.
The two bushings included are visibly different, sizes but the openings in them appear to be the same size.... I installed them the way the instructions said they needed to go... rod end on the passenger side of the car, and the longer of the bushings pointing towards the front of the car.

I would think that they would both need to be large enough for the stepped part of the bolt to fit through, because that part goes pretty far into the fitting.

Call them and they will send you another out ASAP.
I sent them some email.

I know it's frustrating and a royal PITA. Mistakes happen.
Well, I think what makes it a little frustrating is that I originally bought a BMR adjustable PHB (a different model from the one you were complaining about)... then sent it back, then bought the LG. I've had the LG for a couple months, but my car has been in pieces. Just got it all back together yesterday, and I wasn't real happy to have spent the money only to have to put the stock PHB back on.

I'm also a little disappointed by how much road noise the G2 adjustable LCAs transmit into the passenger compartment, and I'm hoping that this PHB isn't going to make that worse. The suspension feels TIGHT as hell... but I hear every little bump. I may even switch to the non-adjustable LCAs just to cut down on the noise.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 11-24-2003 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fair warning ... you would be better off calling them.

Neither bushing will fit over the stepped bolt? Has to be the wrong bushing.

I guess noise is all relative. I cannot hear what others seem to complan about, especially over my Borla's exhaust note. And I've got it fully blocked off!

Make sure you've got the LCA bolt tight as hell. Torque is not as critical because you don't have to worry about crushing the LCA mount and binding up the bushing.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 PM
FormerVendor

What is your name? I will have the right pair overnighted to you

Louis
Old 11-25-2003, 10:16 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Actually, I think I figured it out now...

I checked the bushings again, and I was wrong.. they are indeed two different sizes. But I figured out where I went wrong and why they didn't fit.

The installation instructions say:

"NOTE: The two aluminum step bushings go in the rod end (heim joint) with the long bushing toward the front of the car on the passenger side"

The long bushing is the one with the smaller hole.

The passenger side PHB mount requires that the bolt come in pointing towards the back of the car, which would mean the instructions say to do it in a way that is impossible. The long bushing would have to be towards the BACK of the car.

Leave it to me to follow the instructions..
Old 11-25-2003, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

just put the bolt in from the other direction.........................................
Old 11-25-2003, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

LG Motorsports is the Heat! Who else would do that. I met them once at the track here in college station (Motor speedway). They shure are some cool guys.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:27 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by angst911
just put the bolt in from the other direction.........................................
Don't work that way. The bolt hole in the front is bigger than the bolt hole in the back. The solution is to just reverse the bushings, and put them on opposite of the instructions.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Glad it worked out

Quick Reply: Issue installing LG Motorsports adjustable PHB