Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Should i replace my flywheel????

Old 08-20-2009, 03:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i replace my flywheel????

My clutch is slipping and i am going to replace it very soon. ive been doing research and ive heard i need to replace my flywheel or resurface it. how do i get it resurfaced and what happens if i just leave it the way it is without replaceing it? ive heard it dosnt matter and ive heard that the clutch will go out faster if i just leave it the way it is. any feedback is great. ive never delt with a bad clutch before.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The primary thing to remember relative to any flywheel is that flatness is key. If you have an OE flywheel that has never been surfaced before you can certainly resurface it. Remember though that no more that .015" should be removed from the surface. If more that this is removed then you can have issues with clutch release.

I also suggest checking the flywheel for flatness after machining to make sure that it is truly flat. I do not recommend using a lathe to accomplish this because the father the tool moves away from the center line the greater the amount of flex it can experience and thus the less consistent the surface will be. Take the flywheel to a machine shop and ask them to use a blanchard grinder to surface the flywheel. Make sure they take before and after measurements to insure that they do not over-machine it.

The other option is to buy an aftermarket flywheel. We offer both steel (SC75S) and aluminum (SC75A) options. If you let me know a bit more about what you plan to do with your car (in terms of power upgrades and usage) I will be happy to make a recommendation for you. Keep in mind that steel is less expensive and will retain more stock-like drivability characteristics. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should i replace my flywheel????