General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

continuing headlight issue (read stickies/searched everything)

Old 08-20-2009, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default continuing headlight issue (read stickies/searched everything)

My drivers side headlight is still grinding. Before I give anyone indigestion about another headlight thread, here's what I've done:

1. Flipped original plastic gear, lasted few months
2. Installed brass gear, lasted 4 months
3. Installed entire new motor from O'reillys, lasted a month

I'm at a loss. I "secured" the tabs all 3 times (even the new one) and I'm still having issues. My stops look fine and I'm not sure if I installed it at a bad angle(if that's even possible). It took nearly 4 years for the original to grind. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post will not help; however I feel your pain. Sounds like you did all that I am aware of. I am the original owner of a 1998 Trans Am. Had the gear problem and flipped them a few years back. They are still in tact. I actually purchased the brass gears but have not had to install them since the flip (knocking on wood). The original motors are still cranking fine (knocking on wood).

My car has its gremlins as well. I am currently dealing with the stupid VATS crap that prohibits me from starting my own car for three frickn minutes because of a .45 cent frickn resistor. I am also dealing with a possessed driver side window due to a BCM soldering crack that can't be seen by the human eye. I am about to do a VATS bypass and BCM soldering. I hate loving these cars man.

Hope this cheered you up!

Goodluck!

Search this Thread