Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

When does Chatter happen

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does Chatter happen

I have taken my car to trans shop because it is making a weird noise in 5th and 6th gear. At low MPH in the higher gears I can give it more throttle and there is noise that I think may be chatter coming from the transmission/clutch. One of the guys at shop road around with me and he said it was detination. So I am going to have the trans flushed (needed it anyways). But my car does this in 6th gear at any speed, if I give it a little throttle there is metal/grinding sound. So is this chatter?
Thanks for any info.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Chatter is a clutch problem that you will feel (normally) when moving from a dead stop as you engage the clutch. If the clutch is already fully engaged when you hear this sound, then it's not likely a clutch chatter problem, rather it is most likely a transmission/driveline problem. Or it could be like in the case of my M6, just a small amount of noise it makes when under low rpm/high load (but not racing), which is normal for most manual trannys.

I'm curious as to why you think the tranny needs to be flushed, as this is normally something you associate with an automatic, not a manual. There really isn't much that can be "flushed" with a manual, you just drain it and refill it. With an automatic, this isn't the case as there is lots of oil that won't just drain out.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Chatter can also occur in higher-gear, low-speed and thus high-load situations. This is only experienced when the clutch is reaching the end of its life and is relative to the thinness of the disc and the subsequent inability of the plate to apply full pressure. This would usually feel like a shudder and could be felt throughout the car. Of course, as you can imagine it's not that easy to assess issues like this over the internet!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Chatter can also occur in higher-gear, low-speed and thus high-load situations. This is only experienced when the clutch is reaching the end of its life and is relative to the thinness of the disc and the subsequent inability of the plate to apply full pressure. This would usually feel like a shudder and could be felt throughout the car. Of course, as you can imagine it's not that easy to assess issues like this over the internet!

I wondered if that was the case or not. I've never personally experienced chatter in this mode, but I can certainly see where it could happen.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

normal chatter is very noticeable and you can feel it, if your just in low rpm high gear and trying to accellerate you may just be hearing like fleetmgr posted "tranny noise" which is normal for standards but i wouldnt reccomend alyway driving like that as it is A LOT more stress on the internals of the tranny.

if your clutch was just starting to show signs of slipping i wouldnt really call it chatter as it shold feel more like your engine is misfiring or a sputter when really its your clutch letting go for a breif second. again a lot of stress on the drive line when in a high gear and low rpm when trying to accellerate.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the info guys.

I had the fluid changed because the car was there and I thought why not.

The shop thinks it is spark knock, detitination. I do not because I can not imagine spark knock sounding this way and constant. They told me to add some octane boost to car and see if it goes away. I did add it and it did not go away. 6th gear 1400 RPM push the gas pedal 1/2 way makes the noise every time. I do not another reason I do not think it is engine related is that my dyno tune was fine for months. This problem has just started a month ago and has got worse for about 2 weeks and has stayed the same since. There is no notice in the butt dyno of loss of power. It sounds more metal on metal than anything.

After reading about the chatter I guess it is not that either since you can not feel it just hear it. I am at a loss, guess I will just drive it till something goes wrong .
Old 08-20-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any way you can get a video of it so we can hear the noise?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I can try. Won't be for a few days. My wife's sister just had a baby and my wife and the babysitter (her mom) went down help out for a few days. So I got my little one for few days. As soon as I get a chance I will post some vid.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

That's normal IMO if you're giving it alot of throttle at low RPM in a high gear like you say. 1400RPM in 6th gear is too low, downshift before going 1/2 throttle to speed up. You really don't need to ever cruise that low.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Last edited by Scoggin Dickey; 08-21-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: When does Chatter happen