General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Heater hose rant

Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater hose rant

So, i had a heater hose rupture on my 00 ls1. You would think hey no big deal.
First of all the only place i could find the direct replacement hoses for my car was from the dealer. They come in the pair for $176. Kinda crazy if you ask me.
Getting the heater hose off the fire wall is the first pain in the ***. It wouldn't have been so bad is the clamp wasnt on the underside of the hose.
The second thing is the bracket that holds the heater hoses to the fender well. Its attached to the car via rivit. Which you can not get near with anything. I would have just taken the hoses out of the bracket but its like molded around the aluminum parts of the hose. It just doesn't pop out. The bracket and is still there with pieces on the old aluminum hose still in there. Broke it off even with the bracket with a screw driver and hammer. Couldn't get in there with anything else.
Instead of buying the factory hoses for $176 i bought regular heater hose and routed it higher up on the fender well by the a/c line. A few zip ties and it fit real nice. Saved me $150.
Im not sure if im the only who had difficulty with this repair. But, i didnt have too much fun with it.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you talking about the two hoses that attach to the passengers side of the water pump?

I'd like to replace those just as "preventative" maintanence because mine are factory original 11+ years old. I'd hate to have a blowout while driving around somewhere. Those two hoses that clamp to the water pump...I razor knifed about 2 inches off the ends of both of those hoses and reattached them to the water pump, they were getting bulges in them. So they look great again, but I have no idea what they look like at the firewall.

I like your heater hose idea, did you do both of them like that?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had that happen to me. my serpentine somehow sliced one of the hoses open. what i did was cut the damaged area, use a hose coupler and run new hose to the waterpump. has worked like a charm
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
i had that happen to me. my serpentine somehow sliced one of the hoses open. what i did was cut the damaged area, use a hose coupler and run new hose to the waterpump. has worked like a charm
Yeah, my two hose ends, right next to the clamps, started to get soft and mushy and were buldging. Good thing it was only like that for 1-2 inches. I just cut them off and there was plenty of slack on the hoses still to hook right back up and recalmp them down.

I used a new clamp for one and I had to reuse the crappy designed old clamp for the other. But they're on all the way no problem.
Attached Thumbnails Heater hose rant-dsc01860.jpg  

Search this Thread