Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

What Roll Cage For AutoX?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Question What Roll Cage For AutoX?

Im looking to start some mods to turn the car into a better road course car. Ive been thinking of a roll cage for safety and to stiffen up the chasis. I might still drag race the car once in a while and NHRA says a 6point cage is needed for an 11.99 or faster, though they never told me anything at 11.5 I was running. With my new motor my car should be a little quicker still but most importantly Im wondering, how much will it help stiffen the chasis? I know for safety its needed but what handling/road performance can I expect? Also, if I mostly do just autocross or road racing, what cage would get the job done? 4point, 5 or 6? Thnx, below is a link to some cages Ive been looking at.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...p&vid=7&pcid=3
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get a 6 point. You dont wanna buy one and get it put in then have to get another one cuz youre too fast
Old 08-22-2009, 05:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want an road race oriented cage it will be built a lot different than a drag racing style 6 or 10 point.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

For my T/A I would buy the wolfe cage and either do it myself or have someone install it. If I had a vette I would probably look into having a cage built for the car. Shoot Ryne a PM at CMS, the guy that does his cages does a great job and very clean installs.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Thnx guys but Wicked94Z is right. I did more research and these are drag racing cages only. Road race cages are even much more envolved and use thicker tubing. I dont wanna cut up my car. I like Wolfe's 6 point but they wont allow them in road racing. I might have to race in the stock moddified class for road racing just wondering if I'll hear anything at the strip. I ran mid 11's with no warning for a cage or anything so IDK? Get the cage anyway? Also I want some more safety. Ive seen some C5's crash and lets just say there aint much left,wether it was in a track or street. I aint the slowest driver either, know what I mean?

Check out post #5 of this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...for-autox.html
Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by C5natie
Thnx guys but Wicked94Z is right. I did more research and these are drag racing cages only. Road race cages are even much more envolved and use thicker tubing. I dont wanna cut up my car. I like Wolfe's 6 point but they wont allow them in road racing. I might have to race in the stock moddified class for road racing just wondering if I'll hear anything at the strip. I ran mid 11's with no warning for a cage or anything so IDK? Get the cage anyway? Also I want some more safety. Ive seen some C5's crash and lets just say there aint much left,wether it was in a track or street. I aint the slowest driver either, know what I mean?

Check out post #5 of this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...for-autox.html
If they are more invvolved and use thicker tubing I cant see a tech not letting you race. Possibly if you are running in the 8s but I doubt your car will see 8s then go race autoX.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
If they are more invvolved and use thicker tubing I cant see a tech not letting you race. Possibly if you are running in the 8s but I doubt your car will see 8s then go race autoX.
I meant the techs at HPDE wont allow me to use a drag race style cage for road racing and I dont wanna cut up my car to install one either. This would mean that Id be stuck in a modded stock class with a chance of getting kicked out of NHRA drag strips if I run too quick with no cage. IDK, maybe I'll get a simple 4point so I can drag race and stick to canyon carving at ACH. Anyone one the rules for roll cages and times for NHRA?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

Found this too,
http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...te_safety.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Roll Cage For AutoX?