Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Questions

So I'm looking at various suspension upgrades and I was wondering about a few things. I'm trying to decide if the adjustable pieces are really worth it. I wouldn't even know what to adjust for what, I'm new to all this suspension stuff.

Front:
Shock Tower Brace -- it doesn't seem like it really does anything. I know it's supposed to tie the front shocks together but it just seems pointless.

K-member -- is it worth it?

Upper A-arm -- is adjustable really worth the difference? I am not autocrossing or racing a whole lot.

Rear:

Lower Control Arms -- is adjustable really worth it?

I'm thinking non adjustable will be fine.

I have the double adjustable panhard bar because I didn't know any better and just bought it. I also already have the sub-frame connectors.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Out of that list the most usable item for you to get would be the lower control arms. Whether they are adjustable or not is up to you. If you plan on buying and using relocation brackets I would recommend the adjustable ones.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

What would be some reasons to use the relocation brackets?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I noticed that you are wondering if adjustable is better than non adjustable parts. I would just suggest if you are going to be driving the vehicle more on the street and still wanted to continue having a good quality ride then you will be fine with non adjustable components. The relocation brackets allow you to adjust the lower control arm more parallel which eliminates wheel hop and increases your traction performance. But when it comes to the K member and upper a arms you are not only cutting weight but if you we looking to get adjustments on your cast and camber when the vehicle is lowered or trying to fine tune for auto X or road racing set ups then I would suggest that. But if the vehicle is going to stay at factory ride height then non adjustable is fine as well. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I am definitely not planning on autocross. At most, go to the track a couple time a year. I'm sure later down the road I'll venture out into the autocross but that won't be for a few more years. I guess non-adjustable is what I need for now and can always switch it in a couple years.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Problem
Glad that I could help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdemarce
I am not autocrossing or racing a whole lot.
Adjustable is kind of mis-leading.

The ability to adjust the overall length is merely a by-product of using screw in heim joints. If its a daily driver, then I would suggest staying away for solid ends.

STB ... my experience is as you suggest ... they do bupkis.

K-Member ... its a weight savings and many manufacturers have had issues with broken welds and such when used on a daily driver.

Upper A-Arms ... will yield a ton of negative camber without hurting positive caster. But that is for race apps mostly.