Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-3 Shift Problem, Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2-3 Shift Problem, Any Ideas?

As the title says I am having a 2-3 shift problem..... I bought a 2000 SS about three weeks ago.

Details:

A4, 30,000 miles near show room condition

Lingenfelter short block (standard bore, CR, forged pistons)
LS6 Intake & TB
Stock Injectors
Crane Cam 228/228 576/563 on a 114
TSP Heads
Stock 10 Bolt W/3:73 Motive Gears and TA Cover
Upgraded Trans (New Clutch Packs, Servos Etc.)

Well, I took the car to the track the other night and the car shifts GREAT on the 1-2 shift, very hard. The 2-3 shift is SUPER soft and seems to drag out and take a long time to complete.
I know this isn't a ton of information to go by but what can cause this type of long drawn out shift. I had to lift off the gas and then back on a couple times to get the shift to complete. Could this probelm be in the tune? Anything I can do to test the trans to diagnose, without taking the trans out?

Thanks,
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Unfortunatley if the shift feels sluggish and sorta sliding in the 3-4 clutch pack is likley gone.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Unfortunatley if the shift feels sluggish and sorta sliding in the 3-4 clutch pack is likley gone.

Not what I wanted to hear but was thinking it might have been something like that. The trans doesn't have that many miles on it since being built.

Is there an easy way to check the 3-4 clutch packs? I hate to buy a new trans at this point. Do you sell the upgraded 3-4 clutch packs? Is it true that you can stack multiples to get better performance.

Thanks for your feedback. I have heard great things about your company.

Bill
Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It can just be the set up also. I built my own, added a TransGo kit, drilled the seperator plate hole sizes to a former sponsors recommendations and had a soft 2-3.

I got more opinions online and ended up getting a new seperator plate and making the third feed smaller than what was recommended, and making the band release larger.

In my case it was a shift timing issue cause by many variables but fine tuned by changing the seperator plate hole sizes.

I did take the trans apart, and with little mileage it had on it, the 3-4 clutches were showing signs of getting hot. I didn't change anything except the sep plate and fixed the problem. Obviously your results might vary.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

And upgraded pack can help but as mentioned the hydraulics are actually far more important. There is no easy way to check them other than tear down

Call 888-744-6542