General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Passenger side oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Passenger side oil leak

The ws6 has an oil leak down the passenger header, from above the starter, have not had time to look lately. Just wandering the most probable causes. Did a head swap, 2 weeks ago, the dip stick is fine, also the valve cover seal is not leaking, also replaced oil sending unit today the original one was bone dry. After the car is warmed up an on the road, it smokes horribly from under the car, and from hood. PCV system is deleted and breather cap is on. Thanks guys hope its enough info
Old 08-22-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Double-check the dipstick tube. If it isn't pushed completely into the hole in the block - oil will get blown out of the motor something terrible. There is an o-ring on the tube.

It is possible to bend the clamp that holds the tube down and into the hole. If it was bent during installation to align the bolt holding the clamp in place it will appear the tube is in completely when in fact it really isn't.

Wanna see the motor really smoke and throw oil all over the engine bay after a major rebuild - leave the oil dipstick tube out completely.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man, have a crack in my dipstick tube near the bracket for the bolt, was leaking down the second primary.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Double-check the dipstick tube. If it isn't pushed completely into the hole in the block - oil will get blown out of the motor something terrible. There is an o-ring on the tube.

It is possible to bend the clamp that holds the tube down and into the hole. If it was bent during installation to align the bolt holding the clamp in place it will appear the tube is in completely when in fact it really isn't.

Wanna see the motor really smoke and throw oil all over the engine bay after a major rebuild - leave the oil dipstick tube out completely.
You speak from experience?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

No - not me.

It was done by a sponsor on this site who forgot to install the dipstick. He was very embarrassed to say the least as I stood and watched my car smoking like heck after the heads install.

Earlier this year - another shop installed my headers and after the install called and said my car was a quart low on oil. There was 250 miles on the oil change and the car never has used oil.

But rather than argue with him, they added a quart.

When I got home I put the car on jack stands to examine for leaks, mistakes etc. Oil was pouring down the block and everything was covered with oil.

I could see the dipstick was out of the hole. They bent the clamp to insert the bolt that holds the dispstick in place which raised the tube which raises the disptick and as a result the oil level reads low on the dipstick.

BTW - I lost my power steering too on the return 200 mile trip home. They didn't properly bleed the steering rack after its reintall when they installed the UMI K-Member.

You would be surprised how much you can learn from shops who do shoddy work.

Quick Reply: Passenger side oil leak