Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Few updates on the Firehawk

Old 08-21-2009, 07:53 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Few updates on the Firehawk

Been hot so I figured now is the time to get a couple things done, brought the car down to NRC in South Carolina to get an 8.50 cage done and they did a great job. I also went ahead and put a BS3 in this week, stock PCM was doing OK but I was running out of injector and since I had some 95s laying around it made more sence sell off the 2 step. 60lb injectors and EFIlive and put a BS3 in. I had great luck with the BS3 in my old car and it really makes tunign a lot easier then the stock PCM.

I did keep the stock pcm for the speedo, fuel level, temp and oil pressure gauges. Not so bad leaving it in there when there is only about 10 wires left going to it.

I'm going to pulley up the D1SC and see what I can get out of it, ran 9.17 @ 149 with the old car with the D1SC so I'm going to try to see if I can squeak in the 8s with the D1 in this car in good weather. It wont be easy but I may be able to get it. Just have to put the carpet back in, plug in one of my old tunes and wait for it to cool off a little - been brutal here temp-wise lately.

Last edited by kp; 11-23-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice looking cage! I really like my BS3. Especially having all those boxes in one box. One day I'm going to try their boost control just to see how well it works vs EB2. Only thing BS3 "sorta needs" is a ben map option...not really hard to map in real time, but more than 30 seconds of logging with a ben would be icing on the cake.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohhh so this is your grocery getter? lol sick car man
Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
Very nice looking cage! I really like my BS3. Especially having all those boxes in one box. One day I'm going to try their boost control just to see how well it works vs EB2. Only thing BS3 "sorta needs" is a ben map option...not really hard to map in real time, but more than 30 seconds of logging with a ben would be icing on the cake.
Cage turned out really nice, my helmet still lays on the top door bar though and the seat is bolted to the floor, sucks to be tall in these cars. Not as bad as the Wolfe in my old car though.

Yea the 30 second logging is kinda short for a street car but its fine for what I'm doing, I dont use many cells Plus I take full advantage of the wideband correction, thats something the stock PCM/tuners still cant do. BS3 does have a wideband controlled auto VE table writing thing but it doesnt work on the LS boxes which is a shame.

It would be nice to have undo and compare with the software also but sometimes simple is better.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 AM
9 Second Club

A/C still blowing cold?? I know you didn't make a re-make of the black car did you? Non the less, a nice ride!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice work!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

its all great, but i dont get it man. looks like a total repeat to me.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
You know how it is guys. At one point 10s seemed fast enough, then it's 9s, then mid 9s, then low 9s, and hell why not, let's squeeze an 8 outta her! I know that's all way easier said than done, but speed is a progressive disease. The more we get, the more we want.

Glad your having fun with it KP. Looking forward to some new updates once you hit the track
Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
A/C still blowing cold?? I know you didn't make a re-make of the black car did you? Non the less, a nice ride!
My audi, truck and G8 have ice cold A/C, two out of three of them have a turbo, and they are all under warranty

This car is blue and the other one was black, how much different can you get lol.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
Its similar, but a lot things are done differently, just like when you replaced yours I'm sure you changed a lfew things around that you didnt like the first time. Plus its all new, my old car had over 1000 passes on it over three years and was starting to show it, nothing lasts forever. Plus I just didnt fit well in the 25.5 cage and I didnt like driving it..
Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
You know how it is guys. At one point 10s seemed fast enough, then it's 9s, then mid 9s, then low 9s, and hell why not, let's squeeze an 8 outta her! I know that's all way easier said than done, but speed is a progressive disease. The more we get, the more we want.

Glad your having fun with it KP. Looking forward to some new updates once you hit the track
I'm having fun with it, just like I had fun with the last one. I guess I'll build a mustang next time so its not the same
Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking great, glad to see you going for 8s.
J

*edit* oh yeah that BS1 pic is a scary ****.....man I hate wiring
Old 08-22-2009, 08:12 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Looking great, glad to see you going for 8s.
J

*edit* oh yeah that BS1 pic is a scary ****.....man I hate wiring
It wont be easy with the D1SC, only a couple 3200lb+ cars in the whole country that ran in the 8s with a D1SC that I'm aware of. But it doesnt hurt to try, if not I can always bolt an F1A on it, been there

I re-used your old charge pipes for old times sake, I was going to make all new fancy aluminum pipes but I ended up putting a big procharger blowoff on these and using them again.

The wiring wasnt that scary, just need a PCM pinout and a set of wire cutters - luckily you dont have to hook any of those back up
Old 08-22-2009, 08:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I'm having fun with it, just like I had fun with the last one. I guess I'll build a mustang next time so its not the same
With a LS motor in it obviously.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:51 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
With a LS motor in it obviously.
Na, Ford powered, otherwise it would be the same thing as I have just lighter
Old 08-22-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

what's your production number?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by hawk584
what's your production number?
635, its actually the only 2000 NBM, T-top, M6 Formula Firehawk with Bilstein suspension ever made. Not that it means much now I guess
Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
It wont be easy with the D1SC, only a couple 3200lb+ cars in the whole country that ran in the 8s with a D1SC that I'm aware of. But it doesnt hurt to try, if not I can always bolt an F1A on it, been there

I re-used your old charge pipes for old times sake, I was going to make all new fancy aluminum pipes but I ended up putting a big procharger blowoff on these and using them again.

The wiring wasnt that scary, just need a PCM pinout and a set of wire cutters - luckily you dont have to hook any of those back up
if anyone can hit 8s with a D1 and a f body, its you.....you make everything look easy

I noticed the ol charge pipe

Now all we need is some cooler weather huh!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
if anyone can hit 8s with a D1 and a f body, its you.....you make everything look easy

I noticed the ol charge pipe

Now all we need is some cooler weather huh!
Cooler weather or an A2W, its cheaper and less hassle to wait for good weather. June, July and August is way to hot to race so thats when its time for me to get some work done. November and March is the good weather around here.

I can overspin this D1SC a bit if need be, my only weak link are my pistons. They are off the shelf diamonds and are decent but they arent as stout as the JEs I ran in the old engine. I'll have to get ~100lbs out of it to get it to 3200lbs too, its something to shoot for anyway
Old 08-23-2009, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
635, its actually the only 2000 NBM, T-top, M6 Formula Firehawk with Bilstein suspension ever made. Not that it means much now I guess
i guess not........
Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Been hot so I figured now is the time to get a couple things done, brought the car down to NRC in South Carolina to get an 8.50 cage done and they did a great job. I also went ahead and put a BS3 in this week, stock PCM was doing OK but I was running out of injector and since I had some 95s laying around it made more sence sell off the 2 step. 60lb injectors and EFIlive and put a BS3 in. I had great luck with the BS3 in my old car and it really makes tunign a lot easier then the stock PCM.

I did keep the stock pcm for the speedo, fuel level, temp and oil pressure gauges. Not so bad leaving it in there when there is only about 10 wires left going to it.

I'm going to pulley up the D1SC and see what I can get out of it, ran 9.17 @ 149 with the old car with the D1SC so I'm going to try to see if I can squeak in the 8s with the D1 in this car in good weather. It wont be easy but I may be able to get it. Just have to put the carpet back in, plug in one of my old tunes and wait for it to cool off a little - been brutal here temp-wise lately.
Cage looks good and tight!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Few updates on the Firehawk