Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-Pipe comparisons for Pacesetter longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-Pipe comparisons for Pacesetter longtubes

I was looking around for the best price on a y-pipe for some Pacesetter headers I recently purchased and had some a question that hopefully someone can answer. Here are pictures of the options:

Byunspeed Pacesetter Y-pipe:

TSP's own Y-pipe designed to work with Pacesetters:

Wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the Pacesetter ORY vs. the TSP ORY as far as fitment goes, and if its worth the bit of extra dough. Does the TSP y pipe provide any additional power over the pacesetter version based on the areas on the pacesetter that are flattened out?

Thanks for any insight provided.

Last edited by MjMaro; 08-21-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

You can't see the flat section in the Vengeance picture because the Y pipe is sat on the other side. Its not a different version, they just took the pic upside down.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ADM
You can't see the flat section in the Vengeance picture because the Y pipe is sat on the other side. Its not a different version, they just took the pic upside down.
Thanks I didn't even think about that haha, revised original post. Wondering if the better flow is worth a few ponies and 20+ more dollars.

Last edited by MjMaro; 08-22-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Thanks I didn't even think about that haha, revised original post. Wondering is the better flow is worth a few ponies and 20+ more dollars.
Its a give and take bro.

The Pacesetters are flattened where they need to be for fitting and clearance. But that causes a restriction in air flow of course.

The TSP won't have the flat spot, so maybe a couple of ponies there. But what about scraping bumps and rough roads? Will it clear?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Banned

i have the TSP y- pipe, fits tight! but i like it all 3". make sure you use s.s. band clamps!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pacesetter merge is crap. Install a Flowmaster merge collector

That pic posted of the TSP Y is their old version.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

i used the tsp ory, and like said above it fits tight and with a little patience it doesnt rub the floor board.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Fitment on the older TSP y-pipes used to be TERRIBLE. Almost all of them had to be flared out to fit over the collectors of Pacesetter headers. TSP has been notified of the problem and is fixing it, just make sure you confirm you're getting a new batch of the Y-pipes if you order one.

The merge sucks on all of them, so install a Flowmaster collector on whichever one you choose. It's a worthy mod to do.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

I ended up with the Pacesetter Y pipe on my last camar. The flattened part helped with ground clearance. I bought the PS headers and TSP y-pipe combo.. Ended up putting the TSP Y-pipe in the dumpster at work and getting the Pacesetter.

But in TSP's defense they did redesign their Y pipe from when I bought my first one a few years ago(I have their headers and Y pipe on my current camaro). But, I still have **** for ground clearance..

If i recall right the TSP Y-pipe was like 4 pieces and the pacesetter was like 2. If that makes any difference to you.

Last edited by DropShipDave; 08-26-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DropShipDave
I would highly suggest the Pacesetter Y pipe.. The flattened part really helps with ground clearance. On my last car I bought the PS headers and TSP y-pipe combo.. Ended up putting the TSP Y-pipe in the dumpster at work and getting the Pacesetter. But in TSP's defense they did redesign their Y pipe from when I bought my first one a few years ago(I have their headers and Y pipe on my current camaro). But, I still have **** for ground clearance..
If you highly suggest the Pacesetter y-pipe, then you've never looked inside it at the merge.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

My suggestion is base more upon the ground clearance and fit... To be honest I'm not too concerned about the merge. I'd rather have something that fits good and gives better clearance rather than 5-10 more HP and making contact with asphalt on speed bumps ect..

Last edited by DropShipDave; 08-26-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Y-Pipe comparisons for Pacesetter longtubes