Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Exhaust Question???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo Exhaust Question???

Ok, I'm working on getting all my ducks in a row for my upcoming turbo build. I've got most of the stuff figured out and "blueprinted", so to speak. Except my exhaust. When I remove my KooKs headers for this project, I'm going to be left with 3" dual exhaust w/Magnaflow mufflers. I was planning on getting a custom Y-pipe built to come off the downpipe and reconnect to my duals. My real questions is this: Do I leave the Magnaflows on, or remove them and run open exhaust out the back? Opinions, advice, other info greatly appreciated. Plus if anyone has videos of their turbo's and exhaust that would be great also.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would leave the magnaflows on for the time and see how you like them. Even more so if the car is a daily driver. I like a mean tone more then any body but driving around every day with that kind of tone can get old some times.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
I would leave the magnaflows on for the time and see how you like them. Even more so if the car is a daily driver. I like a mean tone more then any body but driving around every day with that kind of tone can get old some times.
I might try leaving them on for a while. I put muffler deletes on my stock LS2 when I first got my car and loved how it sounded. I figured with a turbo in the exhaust path that it would probably not be as loud as that even. I just want to give the turbo the least restriciton possible.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 PM
8 Second Club

i would take them off. thats just me. when i changed my exhaust from 3 feet of open down pipe to a magnaflow catback with a cutout i was super disappointed about the amount of power i lost. even with the cutout open it just wasnt the same.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

What is your turbo/motor setup? That may change what needs done for the exhaust
Old 08-23-2009, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
What is your turbo/motor setup? That may change what needs done for the exhaust
I have an LQ4 bottom end with ARP Rod Bolts, 317 heads w/ported exhaust side, Stock LS2 cam, Edelbrock Pro-Flo LS intake, Approximately 9.4:1 compression. Custom front mount manifolds, crossover, and downpipe. GT70 Turbo w/44mm wastegate, 60lb injectors, 255 Walbro, will probably be starting out around 10-12psi.
This is what I am working on right now.

Quick Reply: Turbo Exhaust Question???