Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CSI Supershield install pics (not my car)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 04:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Default CSI Supershield install pics (not my car)

http://www.z28racer.com/turbo400.htm

Where are folks doing the grinding?

BTW, CSI said that they will be doing a 4L60E shield in January.

I have a T400 in my formula.

Anyone have install tips?

PSJ
Old 11-24-2003, 07:51 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are some ribs on the housing that appear to be white. You need to trim those down to get it to fit up. You'll know it as soon as you put the shield over the stock bellhousing. Fortunately for me I just run a JW UltraBell, much nicer to work with.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JW Ultrabell is only a flexplate shield, though... You still have to have a tranny shield or blanket @ 10.99 or better.

I just use a blanket, even though it can be a pain to work around the cooler lines and shifter linkage. I'm probably going back to a 'glide with an SFI certified aftermarket case, so I won't have to worry about a shield or blanket.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:26 PM
The Bull

I do have a blanket as well. One of the long learned things I found is that a shield will still shatter and allow the parts to blow through the floor pan. That ultimately lets some oil into the car and can potentially catch on fire. That happened to one of the cars up here this year. The blanket at least will contain much of the shrapnel and oil that a broken shield can't handle. Even if you run a shield I'd still be tempted to run a blanket just to keep it as safe as possible. Just a little scared after watching the guy almost burn up(2nd and 3rd degree burns everywhere).
Old 11-25-2003, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yeah the Super shield does it all, and for guys like me who don't have an Ultrabell it's like $400-450 to get one put on since the trans has to be taken apart. Plus you need to work with a trans shop that knows how much and where to mill to install the Ultrabell. I did not start this thread to debate the Ultrabell I've been looking for Supershield pics for 6 months and it turns out a guy in my area has one.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:46 AM
The Bull

My point is that I do not rely on the shield to do everything. A lot of people put too much trust into them. After Mike's transmission grenaded the drum and it went piercing through everything (including his leg) it made us all think about the effectiveness of the shield by itself. That's all, just some common sense from unfortunate experiences.

The grinding part is easy for the shield, just lay it over the top and knock off the webbing that's in the way. I highly doubt you can get the shield to fit over the ultrabell. I looked at it on mine and the bellhousing is considerably thicker and would make it impossible to line up.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the csi on my car. there is 4 tabs that have to be cut/ground completely off. plus the 2 tabs for the inspection cover. you also have to bend the top coolant line around to clear the cover.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much do the blankets go for? Where can you get them?
Old 11-25-2003, 01:41 PM
The Bull

You can get a blanket from Summit or Jegs for a little over a $140 bucks or something like that.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Steve, I'm just pointing out another option to helping folks like me address the 9.99 faster and faster rules. I think the Ultrabell is hot stuff, love it. I'm not a fan of blankets under our cars, I think they look crappy and I can't see how you can get that in there.

Rob, any pics? How hard is it for you to access the trans bolts to the engine?
Old 11-25-2003, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

didnt snap any pics. i have poly motor mounts and that doesnt help any when it comes time to reach the bolts. but it wasnt too much harder to reach with the cover compared to without but we did chew it up a tad on a couple of the bolts. it fits as snug as a bug in a hooked rug with no clearance problems what so ever. just be sure to place your trans temp sensor accordingly so as not to interfere with the rear strap that holds the back of the cover to the trany. we came very close to mine being in the way.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also run a csi shield..does it all and weighs 4.5 lbs
tech at thunder wasnt sure what to say when i told him it did it all..flexplate shield/tranny blanket....the bolts are a pita to get in if your bolting tranny up after engine is in....make sure you clearance some on that driver side or the bolt wont go in or come out with the added length..
Old 11-25-2003, 09:42 PM
The Bull

You can also drill holes in the floor pan to access the bolts if you are interested. I know mine is a real pain in the *** to get the driver side top bolt in that way. It takes about 15 minutes of threading it in by hand because you can't fit any wrench or socket (yes even a swivel socket) on it until you get it cranked down quite a bit.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe Overton
I also run a csi shield..does it all and weighs 4.5 lbs
tech at thunder wasnt sure what to say when i told him it did it all..flexplate shield/tranny blanket....the bolts are a pita to get in if your bolting tranny up after engine is in....make sure you clearance some on that driver side or the bolt wont go in or come out with the added length..

Same here and the bolts are a PITA