Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting to 3rd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting to 3rd Gear

Hi Guys,

this is my first post in here and honestly, the first post ever in any forum to discuss stuff about my ride. I own a Chevy Lumina SS 2006 coupe with 6M gear. This is not famous in the US and Australia, but believe it, we still get this model in the middle east. the engine is LS1 5.7. i've done couple of modifications:

- K&N Air intake
- Pacesetter header systems
- Magna flow Exhust
- PRO/SPORT Under Drive Dampers & Pulley Kits

Lately 2 months back i have installed Comp cam. right now my car is reached370 HP 385 Tourq.

i haven't touched the gear and transmission yet.

my comment is every time i race with the car i face a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. also, i feel the clutuch paddle is almost all inside and cannot step on inside any further (i'm not sure if i explained it right)this problem was silightly there, but not as clear now. Again, my problem is mainly shifting between 2-3 grear. some people are asking me to change the clutch with a corvette some others says it's just the shifter, and i need to replace the stock with an after market short shifter.

would like to know your recommendations guys. please give me brand i should go with for any part you are recommending.

Ed
Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Banned

Tough to say what the issue is. I would start by bleeding the clutch really well and possibly installing an after market shifter.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks man,

i already order a shifter and it's in the way to me. I bought it from Australia . i have read a good recommendations about this shifter.

hope i won't need to change the culutsh or anything else. i will keep you posted

Last edited by gtatransam88; 08-28-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

I believe that is basically the same car as the GTO in the US. If so, the stock clutch and shifter SUCK! If you ordered the Ripp shifter from Australia, you will love it. I'm not a huge fan of the LS7 clutch that you referred to, but it does make a good dual-duty clutch if most of your driving is on the street. If you do a lot of drag racing, get a better clutch.

Also, you might check the clutch fluid. If it is dark, replace it with new fluid and bleed the system REALLY well.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

You are right about that .. the Car is the same as the GTO. anyway, as i said earlier, i have already ordered the shift and actually i'll receive and install it tomorrow. i got it from billetproducts. after reading about all shifters and took some recommendations, i thought this would fit better for me as the whole stock shift box needed to be changed. Anyway .. i will give you my feedback if you want.

I will be checking the culutch fluid and change it. But still, i guess i will be changing the clutch. I've read around the internet and people are recommending the stock Corvette Z06, other SPEC Stage 3+. what's your recommendation? is your ride a GTO? what do you ahve on it ?

Ed
Old 08-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up package received and installed

just wanted to update you .. i have received the package today .. and i couldn't really wait to install it .. so just 3 hours after receiving the package i went to the workshop. it took only 45 min to install it .. mechanic was so good and almost knew what to do exactly accuratly an. once he is done, I took the care for test drive, and i was LIKE WOW... THAT'S REALY VERY SHORT .. AND VERY ACCURATE. however, still can't get the 3rd shift in when i go with a high RPM. he recommended me (again) to change the whole calutch and flyweel with the corvette Z06 , 2006+. sounds like i will need a new budget for this project.. so i will wait a couple of months.

But honestly speaking that shifter really good. anyway i'm posting some pics of the package .. i almost didn't want to cover the shifter

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Shifting to 3rd Gear-31082009068.jpg   Shifting to 3rd Gear-31082009067.jpg   Shifting to 3rd Gear-my-car.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

I have a 2006 GTO with a few bolt-ons and a Monster clutch. I really like the clutch; it definitly grabs, even at high rpms.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Launching!

I'm kinda having the same problems but mine happens during regular driving.
It's like there isn't a smooth path for the shifter to go from 2nd to 3rd.

This is an 02 ws6 (hurst shifter)

Quick Reply: Shifting to 3rd Gear