Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS? for my buggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS? for my buggy

Ok guys, I've been going crazy trying to decide on what engine to build for my off road buggy. Should it be a 408, 427?? or what?? I like big cubes if that makes a difference with these engines.

Some of the things I do know are, forged bottom end, solid roller cam, bushed lifter bores (I do this to all of my engines), Jesel valve train and dry sumped. I am also thinking about having some of the internals coated like pistons, valve springs, bearings and wrist pins, I also like that Katech oil pump they have. Now I don't need this to be an all out racer, just something that will be N/A and good midrange power.

What is a good all aluminum engine that will last. I don't mind spending the extra $$ for good parts, because i don't want to be left out in the middle of nowhere broken down.

Thanks in advance for helping me make this decision.

-Greg
Attached Thumbnails LS? for my buggy-rail-left-front.jpg   LS? for my buggy-rail-left-rear.jpg   LS? for my buggy-rail-right-front.jpg   LS? for my buggy-rail.jpg   LS? for my buggy-swaybar.jpg  

Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this buggy intended to be a racer or a rock crawler?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Basically for fun in the desert. Not a rock crawler. I use to race dirt bikes years ago and now that I'm older and can't move like when I was younger a desert car is the next best thing.
Honestly, if I can get 600+HP I'd be super happy. What parts will I need to get me there?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

BBBump!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally the 408s are iron blocks i think. the 402s are the alum.

you should have no problem making 600hp at the crank with a built 402. and you should have no reason to go SR.

any number of cams on the market, and a good set of heads to really bring it together. even something like the TFS 215s.

plenty of guys making 500-530rwhp with that setup...

talk to a sponsor