Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Untuned cam and long trip to tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Untuned cam and long trip to tune

Hey I have a PATG spec cam im putting in possibly this weekend, and I was wondering if the car could make it to Orlando for the tune. It's a 226/230 .598 .600 113+4
Old 08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

My buddy drove around for a month with his un-tuned g5x3. Im no expert, but i know it does work if you had to do it.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Where in orlando is your shop? Ill be back in miami and was wondering where I could get the car tuned if need it be. My car ran like horse **** untuned,
Old 08-25-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt, your risking fouling out plugs, bucking, surging, and other craziness. How about getting a starter mail order tune from the shop then drive it to them for the final dyno tune?
Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Seing as this is a small cam you can but I would not go above 4K rpms or WOT.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im with pred, you can drive on that smaller cam for a while, just dont go ball to the wall. cruising on the highway, you should be fine.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Mike Norris is probably going to be tuning it, I just need to get to him, he's in Orlando.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Good choice, Mike is an awesome guy.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have already had it tuned for the headers then it might be ok if you baby it. You will probably have some driveability issues though, so beware. The concern I would have is that it will run lean, especially if it hasn't already been tuned for the headers.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

why not tune it at RevX in sarasota? much closer.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This subject drives me nuts.....

Guys/girls. Read this - From 1998-2000, we had absolutely NO TUNING for internal modifications, and raced all the time. Back then we drilled the TB hole, and for those who could afford it, put a MAFT on the car, and went to the dragstrip

Yes, tuning is necessary. Of course. Is it going to be the death of your engine if you drive it untuned with a cam or heads/cam? NO. We were rolling racing to 150mph with untuned heads/cam cars 10 years ago.

Of course this excludes turbo/supercharger/nitrous cars.

/rant.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damian

Guys/girls. Read this - From 1998-2000, we had absolutely NO TUNING for internal modifications, and raced all the time. Back then we drilled the TB hole, and for those who could afford it, put a MAFT on the car, and went to the dragstrip

Yes, tuning is necessary. Of course. Is it going to be the death of your engine if you drive it untuned with a cam or heads/cam? NO. We were rolling racing to 150mph with untuned heads/cam cars 10 years ago.

/rant.
umm I could understand doing that if you didnt have any tuning options back then. But it would be retarded to do that now with all kinds of tuning options
Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

/rant.
I agree with eamador11 your talking ten years ago when the options of tuning where at best none, and while you are very learned in many aspects of the LSx engine and you have given me much important info, tuning is a must in all cars today to get optimal performance.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

/rant.

I bet they ran like **** too.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

/rant.
Jeez guys he's not saying don't get it tuned he is putting it in perspective. Your not going to hurt you motor making a trip to your tuner unless your doing a speed run the whole way there. As said before keep it under 4k and your fine.

The reason for this is your car will adjust the fueling itself with STFT and LTFT under this RPM (why do you think we have those fancy O2 sensors?). After 4k you start relying on MAF and calculations that are wrong for your setup with no fuel trimming taking place, this CAN hurt your motor.

Is it going to idle bad, surge, and make lower power? YES.
Is it going to destroy your motor to cruise to your tuner on the highway? NO.

Your not going to wash down **** unless you put in bigger injectors.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

umm I could understand doing that if you didnt have any tuning options back then. But it would be retarded to do that now with all kinds of tuning options
I agree with eamador11 your talking ten years ago when the options of tuning where at best none, and while you are very learned in many aspects of the LSx engine and you have given me much important info, tuning is a must in all cars today to get optimal performance.
Could either of you two point out where I was promoting or recommending this behavior?

I bet they ran like **** too.
The big cam cars did (back then 230 was HUGE), but the 220-224 duration cars ran just fine.

Listen people, since reading comprehension must be on shortage today I'll spell it out. I never said "Hey you should always drive your car untuned". I was putting it into perspective, because people act like it's going to be catastrophic to your engine to drive it untuned for a while. In an N/A setup, especially a cam only or heads/cam car, this is silly nonsense. You can drive a car untuned, and it is not going to hurt anything as long as you aren't a moron and redlining at every red light. Should everybody do this? No. Should it be done at all? No. But if somebody is in a pinch or needs to drive elsewhere to get the car tuned, it isn't going to throw a rod through the hood like the internet mechanics will have you think. You're not committing murder to your engine driving it untuned for a few miles.
The following users liked this post:
JacobChevys (01-01-2024)
Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

After installing my MS3 i drove it to work for a straight week, and then drove it from Miami to Tampa that friday on a stock tune to go get it tuned. That entire week though it did want to shut off a few times, but it wasn't to bad. But i never did pass 4k rpms or get on it at all since i was on the stock tune.
-Joel
Old 08-27-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys things you should be aware of:

A big duration cam (mid 23x+) is a higher risk untuned for 2 reasons (1> It will be pig rich at idle and that could wash you cylinders), (2> It will be lean above 4K rpm and that could cause detonnation and kill your pistons)

Now for that smallish 226, it should be fine to reach that tuner. Things to avoid (staying at idle for too long a time (severe back to back traffic), going above 4K rpm or Wide open throttle to avoid lean condition)
Highway cruise speed will be best.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 08-27-2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Guys tings you should be aware of:

A big duration cam (mid 23x+) is a higher risk untune for 2 reasons (1> It will be pig rich at idle and that could wash you cylinders), (2> It will be lean above 4K rpm and that could cause detonnation and kill your pistons)

Now for that smallish 226, it should be fine to reach that tuner. Things to avoid (staying at idle for too long a time (severe back to back traffic), going above 4K rpm or Wide open throttle to avoid lean condition)
Highway cruise speed will be best.
+1

outstanding advice.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

I'm going to recommend geoff from Next Level for your tune. The guys at NLP do excellent quality work and I'm deff going back when the t76/ forged 408 gets installed!!

Quick Reply: Untuned cam and long trip to tune