Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

REPORT: GM dropping corporate emblems for 2010. Badges? We don't need no stinkin' bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool REPORT: GM dropping corporate emblems for 2010. Badges? We don't need no stinkin' bad

Originally Posted by AutoBlog.Com
Back in 2005, General Motors began adding so-called "Mark of Excellence" corporate logos to all of its vehicles. The reasoning behind the move was that with eight brands, customers needed to know that vehicles from brands like Hummer and Saturn came from the GM family. Fast forward four years and The General is now down to four brands, and the company now feels that a strong link to GM proper won't necessarily help Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. Beginning with future 2010 model year vehicles, the barely noticeable silver GM badge will not be added to new products. Vehicles like the 2010 Camaro and 2010 Equinox already don the GM logo, but the assumption is that the logos will stop appearing once the remaining inventory is used up.

GM spokesman Terry Rhadigan told The Detroit News that company research shows customers outside the Midwest don't associate brands like Cadillac and Chevrolet as GM products. Some would say that the move will serve to distance the company's brands from the bankruptcy of parent GM, while others may question whether the badging ever captured the attention of customers in the first place. With GM's new emphasis on strengthening the brands it has left, we'd say that tying the mother ship to any of the individual marques is pretty irrelevant and makes little sense. And besides, they're probably saving a few bucks on badges in the process, right?

[Source: Detroit News]

Old 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I remember always wanting one, then I just stop caring
Old 08-26-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol yea this is like... who cares?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I care, most cars have too many badges on them anyway so I thought the extra GM badge was overkill. Good story, I never knew why they put the badges on in the first place.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Yeah it was pointless anyway. Hopefully with this 'genius' cost cutting idea they will make the G8 GXP in a Chevy or Buick format (wishful thinking).
Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I never liked those stupid little badges
Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 08-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Launching!

I think that must be Obama's plan to put GM back in the black. Ever since they started the Chiclets's they have been loosing money!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
I care, most cars have too many badges on them anyway so I thought the extra GM badge was overkill. Good story, I never knew why they put the badges on in the first place.
I meant it in the sense of who cares that gm isn't putting on those badges anymore.