Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Has anyone cut their stock springs, come on in

Old 11-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone cut their stock springs, come on in

Just wondering if anyone has cut their stock springs and what kind of results you have came up with. I read a post from a guy that cut 1 and 1/4 of the coils off on each and he said it road fine with stock shocks. It looked great and the drop was perfect. Just wondering if anyone has done the same? Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be doing exactly that this weekend as a short term ride height adjustment. I have my Koni fronts on the lower perch and that lowered the front nicely (I think not quite an inch. 3/4 - 7/8 I'd say), so I'm looking to lower the rear the same amount. It only looks worse with the front dropped even the small amount it is.

Next spring will be a full aftermarket spring drop with appropriate suspension mods to maintain proper geometry. I'll post the results of my efforts later this weekend.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

dont plan on your weight transfer being worth a $hit
Old 11-25-2003, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont plan on alot of things... like not bottoming out.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not building a drag car.

Dont plan on alot of things... like not bottoming out.
I have a measured 4.5" gap from the fender lip to the top of the wheel, not to mention the space in the wheel well itself. You're telling me I need over 4 inches of suspension travel? Seems a little excessive, but I'll check the suspension travel myself with the stock springs and konis and get back to you.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^

Scratch the wheel well comment. I wasn't thinking about the bump stop, which is where I'll likely be hitting. Hmm...
Old 11-27-2003, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your not thinking about the fact that you are starting out with the crappiest spring alive, lol. When money permits, Eibach is the way to go.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jRaskell
I'll be doing exactly that this weekend as a short term ride height adjustment. I have my Koni fronts on the lower perch and that lowered the front nicely (I think not quite an inch. 3/4 - 7/8 I'd say), so I'm looking to lower the rear the same amount. It only looks worse with the front dropped even the small amount it is.

Next spring will be a full aftermarket spring drop with appropriate suspension mods to maintain proper geometry. I'll post the results of my efforts later this weekend.

Before you cut the rears, you may want to remove the rubber spacer and put a small piece of heater hose over the top spring coil. You should see about 3/4 inch drop this way and no cutting.

Good luck!

Search this Thread