Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update! Chevy II Ls1 Carb T56 Distributor Conversion PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update! Chevy II Ls1 Carb T56 Distributor Conversion PICS!!!

I haven't posted on this board about my 63 Chevy II in a long time...

Well its a Ls1 carb conversion with the gm front mount distributor to bring it back to the old school

Tranny built Liberty T56 with Monster Clutch Stage 3 with billet steel flywheel and quicktime bellhousing.

BTW if anyone is thinking about a SFI bellhousing get the latest version of the quicktime. It fits on point.

Chasis- tube chasis with ladder bar setup with strengthen 9in etc, and Checkered Racing front clip

I have alot more parts that are not on the car yet just slowly plugging along...

Btw, I need help I am running the checkered front clip and am running the heits inner fender panels and just purchased a goodmark rad. support. And I need some help setting it all up. Anyone have some detailed pics showing how everything is going to bolt up to the new sub frame and rad. support... etc.

Thanks guys, and pics are below!!

Last edited by AlmostfastLT1; 08-27-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

nice clean build! i like the tape belt!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

wow, nice car. Looks like your taking your time and doing it right! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice shiny parts..
Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

looking great! what are you going to use for windshield wipers, or is this going to be a drag car only?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 73 nova guy
nice clean build! i like the tape belt!
Yea I was checking the alignment on the pulley setup and need to install the ati damper snouth another 1/4 in
Old 08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ssduane
looking great! what are you going to use for windshield wipers, or is this going to be a drag car only?
The car will be driven on the street, no wipers and as you can see the wiper motor mount is shaved.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a sweet ride! Nice clean project.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys I need to take some better pics, I wish I had a lift so I could take some pics of the entire chasis...

Also anyone have some pics of settting up the radiator support and heits inner fender panels on a checkered racing clips...
Old 08-29-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AlmostfastLT1
The car will be driven on the street, no wipers and as you can see the wiper motor mount is shaved.
yep, thats why I was asking. I want to do an underdash unit for mine and was looking for different options. Would love to shave that nub off of my 66, would sure make it easier getting hands down and around the engine.

Also, whose headers are you using, see a set hanging up on the wall in one of them pictures.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Teching In

I love seeing stuff like this! Looks Great!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ssduane
yep, thats why I was asking. I want to do an underdash unit for mine and was looking for different options. Would love to shave that nub off of my 66, would sure make it easier getting hands down and around the engine.

Also, whose headers are you using, see a set hanging up on the wall in one of them pictures.
Yea it would help clean up some room.

I am running the S&S headers, I think you gave me the info about them awhile ago. I have already made my exhaust just got to send the headers off to get jet-hot
Old 09-06-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jadave76
I love seeing stuff like this! Looks Great!

Thankyou>
Old 09-06-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sexy, full car pic's? You gotta love the look of the carbed LS w/ a distributer. Who has the dist. conversion, do you still need ECM and such?

-SS
Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hotrodscrap
Sexy, full car pic's? You gotta love the look of the carbed LS w/ a distributer. Who has the dist. conversion, do you still need ECM and such?

-SS
I am going to get some better pics in the next week, once you convert to the distributor/carb conversion, you will no longer need an ECM and you need a timing reference damper to dial in the timing... Just like the old school
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Hey im doing a ls1 swap into an s10 blazer and needing any info you can give me on the distributor swap
Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LSXS10_BLAZER
Hey im doing a ls1 swap into an s10 blazer and needing any info you can give me on the distributor swap
Send me a pm!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmostfastLT1
I haven't posted on this board about my 63 Chevy II in a long time...

Well its a Ls1 carb conversion with the gm front mount distributor to bring it back to the old school

Tranny built Liberty T56 with Monster Clutch Stage 3 with billet steel flywheel and quicktime bellhousing.

BTW if anyone is thinking about a SFI bellhousing get the latest version of the quicktime. It fits on point.

Chasis- tube chasis with ladder bar setup with strengthen 9in etc, and Checkered Racing front clip

I have alot more parts that are not on the car yet just slowly plugging along...

Btw, I need help I am running the checkered front clip and am running the heits inner fender panels and just purchased a goodmark rad. support. And I need some help setting it all up. Anyone have some detailed pics showing how everything is going to bolt up to the new sub frame and rad. support... etc.

Thanks guys, and pics are below!!
I know this is an old thread but I couldn't find the answers just by searching other posts and it's probably a silly question, but with this set up, your dizzy sets the timing right? This is something alot of 3rd Gen guys are looking at doing with their Camaro's and Firebirds, at least those of us with original carbed cars who don't want to deal with swapping the whole set up over to EFI. Also, is that just a standard coil-in-cap HEI set up or a special distributor that you had to get?

My 84 is carbed and I would love to go this route eventually and I don't want to change everything over to EFI. The carb works fine for me and I've not had any daily driving issues in the past 6 years.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default I see it must be thread resurrection week...

Originally Posted by Ozz1967
I know this is an old thread but I couldn't find the answers just by searching other posts and it's probably a silly question, but with this set up, your dizzy sets the timing right? This is something alot of 3rd Gen guys are looking at doing with their Camaro's and Firebirds, at least those of us with original carbed cars who don't want to deal with swapping the whole set up over to EFI. Also, is that just a standard coil-in-cap HEI set up or a special distributor that you had to get?

My 84 is carbed and I would love to go this route eventually and I don't want to change everything over to EFI. The carb works fine for me and I've not had any daily driving issues in the past 6 years.
...at least people are using search. Thank You!

The distributor drive housing is a GMPP part 88958679 but oddly enough I'm told (since I quit doing carbs and distributors years ago) the distributor itself is a Ford part. It also requires a different water pump. At this point the engine is basically a roller cam / rockers Gen III version of a GEN I small block. Personally beyond class rules I don't get why you would do this but that's me. Running a carb on one of these engines is not cheaper than running the factory PCM - if you buy everything right.

Now if you like that old school look... different story.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice build.

Is there any advantage to a distributor vs the msd box?

Quick Reply: Update! Chevy II Ls1 Carb T56 Distributor Conversion PICS!!!