Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How long do the stock dampers last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long do the stock dampers last?

I was wondering how long the stock dampers typically last?

I am just about to 50k and in the past two weeks I have noticed a drastic difference in suspension noise. Sounds to me like the shocks are done. What's funny is they were fine about 500miles ago.

Sound normal?

I think for now I am going to order a set of take offs from SLP.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock shocks lasted about as long as it took me to get them replaced.

I would necessarily attribute suspension noise to shocks though. Poor shocks typically means a more unstable ride, bouncing and wallowing more. Noisy shocks are rare. Most noises come from worn out or degraded bushings. Get your car up off the suspension and check all your bushings. Controls arms, swaybar links and bushings, panhard rod. Check the tie rod ends. Also check the shock mounting points as well. All these are more likely to cause noises than the shocks themselves.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock shocks should remain on your car for about 5 minutes. They are quite under damped for these cars. At 50-60k you are looking at replacment time real soon. My thoughts.

Kevin
Old 11-25-2003, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was wondering how long the stock dampers typically last?
Until they are installed on a car.

I would take jRaskells advice and check out all the bushings and whatnot. Be sure to check your swaybar mounts too! My right front shock was making a whining noise when compressing, and when I replaced it, it was leaking oil like mad and had NO rebound. So noise is possible.

I think for now I am going to order a set of take offs from SLP.
Do yourself a favor and dont. You would be much happier with a set of Bilstien HDs. They will tame bumps down a bit, and help all round. It is an involving prosess, and I wouldnt go through the trouble of doing it if I was gonna put stockers back on. Check out my post here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/116793-f-bod-front-spring-shock-how.html
Old 11-25-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

I know it's not the front swaybar making noise. I took that bitch off.I'll see if I can get to the father-in-laws place so I can use the lift

Hrmmmm,no dice with the take offs huh?. There goes my converter money...I guess I might as well just get the suspension ready for all the power I wish I could make.

thanks for the advice guys.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took that bitch off.
Be carefull.... Id not like to run with no swaybar on the road, but to each his own. There was a guy that almost lost his car because of no swaybar and acting up.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

yeah that was me
Old 11-25-2003, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ohh, right... Well... That makes sense then!

Why did you remove it?
Old 11-25-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

It helps your 60' times. I dropped over a 10th by removing it.Not worth running on the street without it though in my opinion. It's still off because the endlinks were so rusty they busted when I removed it.When I get the new one on(1le,LG or Spohn probably) I will make sure to keep the endlinks in good hape so I can take it off at the strip and get it back on for the street.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jRaskell
My stock shocks lasted about as long as it took me to get them replaced.

I would necessarily attribute suspension noise to shocks though. Poor shocks typically means a more unstable ride, bouncing and wallowing more. Noisy shocks are rare. Most noises come from worn out or degraded bushings. Get your car up off the suspension and check all your bushings. Controls arms, swaybar links and bushings, panhard rod. Check the tie rod ends. Also check the shock mounting points as well. All these are more likely to cause noises than the shocks themselves.

The noise seems to come from the fact that the tires move around alot more while driving. Does that make sense? Like they are underdamped. What's wierd is the car was not like this at all a month ago. I distinctly remember thinking about how much more solid my TA was than my GTP. The GTP bangs and clunks over every damn bump. I figured it was the POLY bushings I have on the swaybar. I don't know for sure what it is but I am going to try to find out this weekend.

ALSO: What do you guys think of the HAL units? Would these be a good way to go for an all around car? Street w/better than stock handling and dragstrip launches is what I am after.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

OK,found the problem.

Reinstalled the factory sawybar with new ES poly endlinks and the noises have dissapeared. I reused the original rubber bushings after wiping them clean and smothering them in synthetic grease.

I didn't figure on the lack of a front bar causing all that additional noise.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: How long do the stock dampers last?