General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

more heating problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry more heating problems

so i've been having problems lately with overheating and finally i thought i got it under control with changing the cracked radiator for a new one, however the one i put in was intended for a V6 Firebird but it fits and is thicker than the stock one i took out, it has ceased to overheat but every now and then the temp gauge goes up slightly to like 3/4 of the gauge but slowly goes back down, to add on to it under the dash, both drivers and passenger side get really really hot, the AC line is broken from the ac condenser next to the radiator, car has 104,xxx miles on it, 02 WS6, completely stock except for the LM1 any ideas how i can get it to stop heating a lil and the heat to stop coming from the bottom of the dash??????
Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gregc_sanchez
so i've been having problems lately with overheating and finally i thought i got it under control with changing the cracked radiator for a new one, however the one i put in was intended for a V6 Firebird but it fits and is thicker than the stock one i took out, it has ceased to overheat but every now and then the temp gauge goes up slightly to like 3/4 of the gauge but slowly goes back down, to add on to it under the dash, both drivers and passenger side get really really hot, the AC line is broken from the ac condenser next to the radiator, car has 104,xxx miles on it, 02 WS6, completely stock except for the LM1 any ideas how i can get it to stop heating a lil and the heat to stop coming from the bottom of the dash??????
1 your using a radatior from a V6 in a V8 usually isent a good idea... Although if its the same with/lenght then its probaly not to big of a deal

Also your thermostat could be going out as well. Rember those things work off Wax. that melts when it gets to a cirtian tempture. It could also be sticking. There a 20$ part which isent to bad if thats the problem. for F bodys i belive its 200 degrees F before they open up and allow hot coolent from the motor to flow into the radatior to cool as cooler coolent moves trough your motor.

Also the reason its so hot under the dash is thats where your heating core is.
When hot coolent goes trough your motor trough your block and around water jackets around your pistons and your heads it also runs trough your heater core inside your car.

There could be a various amount of problems id really have to see it and get hands on to fully diagnose it for ya man

oo and 1 more thing it could be your radatior cap if you dident replace that as well. Theres a pump you can get to check it for ya but i do belive its 15 PSI radatior and cap.

every 1PSI in your radatior lowers boiling points of coolent by 3 Degrees F
Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it just get hot during stop and go city driving? Or does it also rise to 3/4 when you cruise steady on the highway?

If it just happens in the city, you probably have fan issues.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Teching In

it heats up under the dash on stop and go city driving, on the highway it stays perfect, and i'm trying to save up for another radiator, and i've just replaced the thermostat also
Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Banned

it heats up under the dash on stop and go city driving, on the highway it stays perfect, and i'm trying to save up for another radiator, and i've just replaced the thermostat also
You have to make sure your fans are working. Thats what keeps you cool in city driving. Highway, the fans do nothing, they don't even come on.....or at least they shouldn't.

It can't be the t-stat or you would overheat no matter what kind of driving you do. And if you run nice and cool on the highway, its working.

Its your fans.
They need to BOTH turn "on" and "off" together, always. ALSO...they should be working on two settings....HIGH and LOW.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had that same problem. it was a combo of my fans not coming on and my radiator being old. a temporary fix was a fan switch, worked fine. now i have a new radiator, thermostat and tuning for the fans. and if you do need a new radiator, get an LT1 radiator. its bigger than the LS1 and works a lot better
Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Teching In

how do i test the fans?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn the a/c on wth the engine running. The a/c needs air drawn over the condensor and the fans do this when the a/c is on.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

Having the A/C "on" doesn't automatically turn the fans on.

The temps have to be up near operating temp before they come on...at least thats how mine works. If I want to test my fans I have to go for a drive, when my guage is showing normal operating temps, then I turn the A/C "on", drive for about 5 more minutes then pull over and pop the hood. I check them both and they are always both running. If I wait for about 5 minutes, they will kick down to "low" or they will just turn off.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Teching In

fans arent coming on, i think i'll have to get new ones
Old 08-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

fans arent coming on, i think i'll have to get new ones
No.....check the fuses and relays first. then make sure your wiring is ok, plugged in and not ripped or worn.

Its possible of course....but odds are BOTH fans will not fail at the same time. If its the more likely causes, you will put new fans i nthere and they won't work.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
No.....check the fuses and relays first. then make sure your wiring is ok, plugged in and not ripped or worn.

Its possible of course....but odds are BOTH fans will not fail at the same time. If its the more likely causes, you will put new fans i nthere and they won't work.

it might be the sensors, i dont want to jack up my car right now cuz i have no time, but i'll try all of that when i get off of work and its less than 100 degrees out here! thanks for all ur help!