Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch acting up...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch acting up...?

Okay.. so just recently my 2000 Pontiac Trans Am has started acting a little bit odd..

One day I was just driving down the road, and heard a metallic ping.. pulled off checked everything out, and was just like.. meh it was a rock... same day I'm driving around some more, and I go to switch gears, and my clutch will not budge at all, so I try pushing it in again, and it goes flying to the floorboard with no resistance whatsoever also making a loud popping noise...

As I drive I continue to hear a popping noise occasionally when putting the clutch in, So I decide to garage it until I can go get it checked out. My mechanic couldnt find anything wrong with the car and said it was perfectly fine as far as he could tell

So I start to think nothing of it... well now, a week and a half after the check up, the clutch is doing the exact same thing, but more often than it was doing earlier. Popping when i push the clutch in, clicking when it gets all the way in, and then popping when it comes out of gear...

Another thing thats been happening is that... It has been rather difficult to throw the shifter into gear, (especially first and reverse) its like I have to actually slam it into the gear to get it to go, it occasionally will happen in the 2-6th gears, but mainly just those two...

So what do you guys think? car's basically brand new, just has 27k miles on it, got it from a guy in Tennessee who was getting divorced and didnt want his ex wife to take it with her, so... he passed it of with 19k miles

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

-Chris
Old 08-27-2009, 10:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydraulics. MC or slave or both.

First thing to do is, check fluid level and color. Possibly older fluid, will be darker in color. If so, flush, refill, rebleed, and recheck.