Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Would line expansion cause me to totally lose my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would line expansion cause me to totally lose my brakes?

I'm to the point of parting out my car.... I have replaced the master cylinder and the brake booster and bled out 10+ qts of fluid through the system and I have no brakes. Push the pedal and it will go to the floor. I have noticed if I pressurize the system via a Motive Power Bleeder, the brakes feel a little like brakes. Let that pressure off and it's all gone. I refuse to believe the calipers are bad and have a hard time believing that line expansion could cause so much decreased efficiency that braking is non existent. Suggestions?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Probably all kinds of air in the ABS pump.... A trip to a dealer so they can bleed/fill it while running the pump with a Tech2 is probably in your future.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

I have no ABS pump.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, if there is no air in the system and you are not losing any fluid; then I would look at the Master Cylinder again. ???

If you have the ABS deleted it's a VERY simple hydraulic system.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
Well, if there is no air in the system and you are not losing any fluid; then I would look at the Master Cylinder again. ???

If you have the ABS deleted it's a VERY simple hydraulic system.
I know, that's what's pissing me off. I've had two master cylinders on it besides the original. You guys are implying that line expansion is not the problem? I didn't think so either...
Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Did you bench bleed the master to get air out?

If the fittings are a bit loose you'll never get pressure. Check for leaks.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like terryr already asked, did you bench bleed the new master? Because if you didn't, it will take forever to get all the air out. How much were you opening the bleeders when you power bled it? I found that opening the bleeders too much doesn't work as well as if you open them slightly.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Like terryr already asked, did you bench bleed the new master? Because if you didn't, it will take forever to get all the air out. How much were you opening the bleeders when you power bled it? I found that opening the bleeders too much doesn't work as well as if you open them slightly.
Didn't crack the bleeders much. No leaks. Did not bench bleed the master. I just can't believe that air would feel like this either. I mean I've got next to nothing.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Bump!
Old 09-06-2009, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There’s no need to remove and bench bleed the master. Remove one of the connections to the inlet of the prop valve or line lock connecting a tube to the end of the line you disconnected and run it back to the master. …then cycle the master. This removes the need to completely disassemble the whole system.

Make sure if you removed your calipers, they went on the same side. I've seen a few people mention on the boards they had them backwards after cleaning or painting etc (bleeder faced down) and the brakes did not function correctly.

To answer your primary question, line expansion would be highly doubtful. You'd have be have almost a complete failure structurally of the reinforcing fabric whereas you'd have a bubble form on the line like a large wart when you depress the brakes. Is it possible, sure it is, just not likely. As long as you didn't let the caliper hang from lines or crimp or damage them....if the braking system worked before, it’s probably not the issue. ...Air infiltration is a likely culprit.

For the record, the typical life of OEM rubber hoses is ~5-7 years. Since the LS1's were stopped in 2002, 4th gens brake hoses (5-6 total) realistically should be considered as needing replaced. As rubber breaks down, failure is eminent as well as decreased braking performance. Old lines can have restricted flow, damage from contaminates, weakened states from suspension travel...etc etc.

We do offer braided line configurations for most situations.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 09-06-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
There’s no need to remove and bench bleed the master. Remove one of the connections to the inlet of the prop valve or line lock connecting a tube to the end of the line you disconnected and run it back to the master. …then cycle the master. This removes the need to completely disassemble the whole system.

Make sure if you removed your calipers, they went on the same side. I've seen a few people mention on the boards they had them backwards after cleaning or painting etc (bleeder faced down) and the brakes did not function correctly.

To answer your primary question, line expansion would be highly doubtful. You'd have be have almost a complete failure structurally of the reinforcing fabric whereas you'd have a bubble form on the line like a large wart when you depress the brakes. Is it possible, sure it is, just not likely. As long as you didn't let the caliper hang from lines or crimp or damage them....if the braking system worked before, it’s probably not the issue. ...Air infiltration is a likely culprit.

For the record, the typical life of OEM rubber hoses is ~5-7 years. Since the LS1's were stopped in 2002, 4th gens brake hoses (5-6 total) realistically should be considered as needing replaced. As rubber breaks down, failure is eminent as well as decreased braking performance. Old lines can have restricted flow, damage from contaminates, weakened states from suspension travel...etc etc.

We do offer braided line configurations for most situations.
Calipers never removed. Only thing I did was remove the ABS modulator and add in the proportioning valve. As much as I've bled the brakes, I cannot see air being left in there.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they worked before you made the changes, its air.

No matter how many times you bleed the brakes, if you're not doing it correctly, its not going to help.

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
If they worked before you made the changes, its air.

No matter how many times you bleed the brakes, if you're not doing it correctly, its not going to help.

Good luck!
Explain.

Quick Reply: Would line expansion cause me to totally lose my brakes?