Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Valvetrain Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvetrain Question

Okay, I've got some angry clicking sounds coming from underneath my pass side valve cover and my MPG has taken a dump (both happened a day or two ago). I'm 99% sure it's not an exhaust leak, so my question is this:

If I bent a pushrod, cracked a spring, or killed a rocker arm, can I replace the individual component, or is it a better idea to replace the set? For example, if it's a pushrod, would I be better off with a new set, or would one replacement suffice?

This is a DD with a catback and a lid. I do some spirited driving, but nothing crazy
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by brandotron
Okay, I've got some angry clicking sounds coming from underneath my pass side valve cover and my MPG has taken a dump (both happened a day or two ago). I'm 99% sure it's not an exhaust leak, so my question is this:

If I bent a pushrod, cracked a spring, or killed a rocker arm, can I replace the individual component, or is it a better idea to replace the set? For example, if it's a pushrod, would I be better off with a new set, or would one replacement suffice?

This is a DD with a catback and a lid. I do some spirited driving, but nothing crazy
Well first things first, pop off the valve cover and examine everything to find the problem.
Remove ALL the pushrods and check them for straightness. If and when you find a bent pushrod inspect the spring and rocker associated with that pushrod. I would replace the rocker associated with any bent pushrod.

Inspect all of the springs for cracks. If you find a broken spring(s), inspect the rocker and pushrod associated with that spring. I would replace the rocker associated with the broken spring and check the pushrod associated with that spring for straightness. You'll also probably want to do a leak down test to see if the valve is still sealing. While you are at it, you can do the test for all cylinders.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Thanks srj. Put some damn coolant in your car!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Leak down test? Can you do some 'splainin?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by brandotron
Leak down test? Can you do some 'splainin?
This is a pretty good article:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ter/index.html

Quick Reply: Valvetrain Question