Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Need work BAD

Old 08-28-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Need work BAD

Paid rent for the month, but next month I'm screwed... this was NOT the time to graduate college and get into the job market with no experience

everybody I talk to, is like "well you don't have any real world experience".... I gotta start somewhere sheesh...

and all the elderly folk that have been out there for a while, in this economy, are taking/settling for the entry level jobs that I should be getting...

really sux when your 100k degree is worthless...

I'm in the Temecula/Murrieta area but willing to drive if need be... I'll pretty much take anything at this point. But my career focus is anything in the media production field.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

McDonalds is always hiring...lol.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess going to college doesn't guarantee you a job anymore. Like most of us were taught growing up.

Maybe try and start out at a dealership? At least to make some cash while your searching..
Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is your degree in?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hlaalu
what is your degree in?
B.A. - Visual Effects and Motion Graphics
Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Its tough out there man. hope it works out. Thats why Im happy I got an OK paying job with Perks.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
hmmm yea i could see why experience would be wanted with that kind of work. you might want to try getting an internship somewhere doing that stuff. they will probably pay you minimum wage and have you answering phones and shredding papers but at least you will get something to put on your resume and network a little bit.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

its really tough out there right now. Employers know they can over work and under pay employees since they know theres no other work out there. Try posting your resume online (monster and career builder). My friend got a B.S in Business management from csulb and couldnt find a job for like 6-8 months in the field he wanted to work in. He ended up getting contacted by some company in Japan that offered him a 1 year contract teaching English. I think they'll take anybody with a bachelors with no criminal record.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Give me a call.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:55 AM
On The Tree

It's rough out there right now. I'm a Systems Engineer with a BS in Information Technology and I am making measly money at the moment with close to 10 years experience. At least it's a job, but even my company is seriously downsizing at the moment. A lot of my coworkers are getting canned. Only thing keeping my job at the moment is I am the only tech on the West Coast. The company I work for is based out of Long Island City, NY. My boss was out here a few weeks ago and canned my co-worker.

Keep looking, eventually you will find that right employer who will hire you. The money may not be right, but at least it's something. I was out of work for 4 months before I found this job. Had to sell my bike (which I had just paid off), emptied out a good amount of my 401K, and had a car re-possessed. Had to make a choice between my T/A and my SS, kept the SS.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:29 AM
On The Tree

Wow.. I was about to try and major in graphic design, im glad i went in another direction. But good luck man, im just hoping by the time i graduate the economy will be in a better condition than it is now.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Orlando, Fl is a boomtown. All kinds of industries are moving there. You might have to expand your search for that first job and once you have experience move to where you want. Why limit yourself
Old 08-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Good luck on the job hunt. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and have been out of work since Dec 2008.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Launching!

I've been in your exact situation dude. My advice is to get on craigslist and find as much freelance work as humanly possible--lie about your experience if you have to, these are only freelance clients. With a bunch of freelance clients on your resume, you will appear to have a lot of experience to most employers.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by haighter
Give me a call.
Done! Left you a voicemail

Originally Posted by wickedbusa
It's rough out there right now. I'm a Systems Engineer with a BS in Information Technology and I am making measly money at the moment with close to 10 years experience. At least it's a job, but even my company is seriously downsizing at the moment. A lot of my coworkers are getting canned. Only thing keeping my job at the moment is I am the only tech on the West Coast. The company I work for is based out of Long Island City, NY. My boss was out here a few weeks ago and canned my co-worker.

Keep looking, eventually you will find that right employer who will hire you. The money may not be right, but at least it's something. I was out of work for 4 months before I found this job. Had to sell my bike (which I had just paid off), emptied out a good amount of my 401K, and had a car re-possessed. Had to make a choice between my T/A and my SS, kept the SS.
yea... selling the T/A has been on my mind lately. It would absolutely break my heart to do so though. I love that car, it's paid for, and I've spent a butt load of money in upgrades in it while knowing I'll never get that money back if I sell it (had plans of never getting rid of it). It would probably only sell for about 10k give or take... which is not worth it

Originally Posted by Rhode Island Red
Orlando, Fl is a boomtown. All kinds of industries are moving there. You might have to expand your search for that first job and once you have experience move to where you want. Why limit yourself
we have 11 months left on our lease

Originally Posted by RitcheyRch
Good luck on the job hunt. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and have been out of work since Dec 2008.
dang! I figured that would be a degree with plentiful opportunities...

Originally Posted by brandotron
I've been in your exact situation dude. My advice is to get on craigslist and find as much freelance work as humanly possible--lie about your experience if you have to, these are only freelance clients. With a bunch of freelance clients on your resume, you will appear to have a lot of experience to most employers.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would learn to lie on your resume, take it off job boards (monster, hotjobs, and especially an industry centric ones you may use), so you won't get caught so easily, and get friends to back up the lies (list them as references).

Do you have anyone that can back-up an internship or part-time job in your industry?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Call up alchemedia... They do a LOT of 3D rendering work. Don't know if they need more extra help though. Tell them Lee referred you.

http://www.alchemedia3d.com/
Old 09-01-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hang in there bro.....
Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know how you feel. check craigslist. my life was based on my job then one day they brought 156 of us to the meeting room and said our last day was gonna be on a friday. im trying to move, we are having a baby, i have a car payment coming up, insurance payment coming up, 1000 deductible for the accident i recently had and i only have like $50 in my checking account. im FUCKED all the jobs i have experience in wont hire because they want a degree or like 5-10 years experience... im ****** 21 for christs sake!!! ok sorry about the ranting and the thread hijack. good luck to you finding a job
Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Try this web site

http://www.roadtechs.com/

It's for consultants, mostly 1099 folks (independent contractors) but there is lots of short term work. It very likely won't be at your home area, but they pay very well for short term work and generally will pay travel and per diem (living expenses). There are THOUSANDS of jobs listed here. Most jobs will pay over $40/hr and many over $100/hr. Give it a go!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need work BAD