Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coil questions

I am looking to relocate my coils on my swap and had a couple questions. I did search and kept finding the same article, the coil swap worth... hp article. was wondering if we can put that link in a more manageable size for searching.
the questions I still have are:
1. do you need an adapter to run the ls2 style coils on an ls1? and if so who makes them and what does it cost
2. is the swap actually worth anything hp wise, or efficiency wise or otherwise, seems like lots of poeple thought the dyno run on the above mentioned thread was a fluke
3. is there a consensus on which coil is the best for the swap, i.e. truck, ls2, ls7...etc. i am also in the unique position of needing ones that package well together not a lot of extra room

any info would be great, searched here and google and couple other sights, couldn't find a one stop source for all these questions.
jon
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.car-part.com thats where I get stuff. As for which ones are better, I dont know. I believe the truck style with the heat sink are fine, and probably more abundant.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a good article on coils. Make sure you watch the video and you'll see which ones are the best. If you can find the coils and harness, it's a plug and play swap, if you're going to relocate them.

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm
Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a picture of the good ones.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-t...=p4506.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-CO...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

So do you just need the short harness, from the individual packs to the bigger central connector on each side?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cooks 7
So do you just need the short harness, from the individual packs to the bigger central connector on each side?
Correct.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Relocation brackets and wires right here:
http://estore.websitepros.com/212053...s+and+brackets
Old 08-29-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cooks 7
I am looking to relocate my coils on my swap and had a couple questions. I did search and kept finding the same article, the coil swap worth... hp article. was wondering if we can put that link in a more manageable size for searching.
the questions I still have are:
1. do you need an adapter to run the ls2 style coils on an ls1? and if so who makes them and what does it cost
2. is the swap actually worth anything hp wise, or efficiency wise or otherwise, seems like lots of poeple thought the dyno run on the above mentioned thread was a fluke
3. is there a consensus on which coil is the best for the swap, i.e. truck, ls2, ls7...etc. i am also in the unique position of needing ones that package well together not a lot of extra room

any info would be great, searched here and google and couple other sights, couldn't find a one stop source for all these questions.
jon

All of your questions are answered in the exact thread you are referring to...

1. No adapter needed if you take a complete set with brackets , coils and coil harness from vehicle.
2. I dunno how you say that it seems as though a lot of people thought it was a fluke most agreed and most have bought a set of coils from me or elsewhere..
3. The LS2 truck coils ( D585s ) are the best and most powerful bang for your buck but if you have some vetical clearance issues then the flat square LS3/9 style are a better choice...But if you don't mind doing a remote mount then shoot for the truck coils...
Old 08-29-2009, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info,
when threads get too long i tend to not make it through every page, that is why i was trying to get the answers all in one place, for me and for future searches. the fluke comment came from people saying the overall numbers for the car dyno'd in that thread were really low and that perhaps he had problems with the original coils or something along those lines.
when I get a chance to relocate my coils I will be upgrading for sure, more ignition power can't hurt