General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

I have a 94 Z A4 that will not start.

Put the key in, turn and there's nothing. The car won't even attempt to crank. The only thing that changed was the dash which i had to tear out. I bought the car after it was in an accident and after the bags deployed it destroyed the dash. So i replaced it. Before that, the car ran fine. After new dash was in, nothing at all. I've checked and re checked all the connections and everything is fine. Only things that are unplugged are the new airbags since i need new sensors, but the car ran fine with them unplugged before.

One thing i did notice is after you attempt to start the car and the key is out, the security light stays on for a good 2 minutes after the doors are closed, which i don't remember seeing before. This leads me to believe something is wrong with the key or ignition lock cylinder and it's not reading the chip on the key anymore. Am i right to assume this and i just need to replace it or should i look elsewhere?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 07:27 AM

General repair & maint.----------------> Moving.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

1. Check to see if you have gas
2. make shure you have suffecient oil.
3.check your battary (if in red try to jump it)

Also what did just pop into mind was after you turn off the car the temp rises sightly and it could have busted your radatior. So check that as well. it might have forced coolent into either your oil or trans fluid. But it would still at least start up but only to crash yet agian.

Not quite shure of GM safty *****
Old 08-31-2009, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Has oil, has gas, checked the battery. Even if it didn't have those, the car would still try and turn over. My car won't even crank, turn the key and nothing happens.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to my Z a few weeks back. I didn't drive for two days, then went to try and start it but got nothing.. Tried a couple times and nothing happened (besides interior/dash lights), so I popped the hood and looked around, checked the oil, everything was fine. I tried it again and it started right up. Haven't had the problem since then.

However, you mentioned the key, which could maybe be the issue.. but I don't get why the interior and dash lights would go on.. they did that for me too.. Waiting for someone else to chime in.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

LOL this happened to me about a month ago. Read your maintenance book. It's some BS about the key being dirty. Basically i just sat there for 2 minutes and waited for that light to turn off. Then the car started right up.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Don't have the maintenance book, but ill try that and see what happens.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Teching In

IF YOU UVE TRIED EVERYTHING,FROM RESETTING THE PCM TO CHEKING ALL FUSES AND CLEANING YOUR KEY PELLET WITH A PENCIL ERASER, 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 ITS THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER. If your a little mechanically inclined and have sum tools you can check to be sure. you have to take the steering wheel off and sum other components under it to be able to see the lock cylinder. The cylinder has a poor design, its got two WHITE wires attached to the part that turns wen you turn the key. One or both of the wires tore off....I CAN PUT MONEY ON IT.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thats what i was figuring, just wanted to make sure.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can have a quality locksmith that does VATS system repairs(ign cylinders) come bby your house and bypass the Vats system. Ihad this done to my 99 SS and it ended up being the wires; so I had a new cylinder and two new keys installed...about $280.00
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can change out your ignition cylinder lock on your own with simple tools and some time. Save you a lot of money. I spent about $100, which was only because I had to purchase the tools as well as the parts.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Mine started failing so off and on it wouldn't start. I bought a new key and cylender but never had time to install it. Then one night or morning as it was, about 2:00am with a car full of buddies it failed all together. So i pulled the IP insulated down, unplugged the cylender in the collumn and plugged the new one in with the key in it and just stuck it up behind the knee bolster. Started right up with the old cylender to turn the ignition switch, while the vats system was reading the resistance on the new one under the dash. I thought it was pretty quick thinking for 2am.

Quick Reply: Car won't start