Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do you know if you have a bad SLAVE

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you know if you have a bad SLAVE

Just like the title states. How do you know. Working on a 2000 Trans Am.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 99 vette saw drops of something on floor mat and thought nothing of it then clutch pedal only came up half way & look for seepage under dash where clutch pedal attaches to plunger on slave
Old 08-30-2009, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by steves2002z28
on my 99 vette saw drops of something on floor mat and thought nothing of it then clutch pedal only came up half way & look for seepage under dash where clutch pedal attaches to plunger on slave
Well my question to that is, if the slave is bolted to the center of the input shaft on the tranny, why would that cause seepage under the dash.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Anybody..??
Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

sorry that I cant help but the title is funny as hell
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
FormerVendor

Though hydraulic fluid can leak from the slave there are times when the issue is internal and thus it wouldn't be evidenced by a leak. That being said, how does the pedal feel? Is it inconsistent? Does it stick to the floor? Does the engagement point change during use (releasing high then low sporadically)? If so then you could have a bad slave cylinder. I suggest that you check the reservoir to determine if the fluid is low or if it is dark or discolored. If it isn't clear then I suggest flushing and refilling the system and seeing if that makes a difference.

Let us know a bit more about what you are experiencing and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Tough Mudder

Mine blew apart. Literally came to pieces. It has a lifetime warranty, but still pissed me off. Petal stuck to the floor, couldn't get it out of gear, couldn't get it back into gear, had to drive home in second.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Well, the pedal feels great. It never sticks to the ground, or releases low, always releases at the same normal point. I have a new pressure plate and disc coming. But Im wondering if the new slave that came with the clutch thats in the car is toast. The fluid level is always the same, and though its not perfectly clear, its not real dark either....
Old 09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

Where is the engagement point? Also, what kit are you using? I am just trying to get a feel for situation as best possible.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Where is the engagement point? Also, what kit are you using? I am just trying to get a feel for situation as best possible.

The pedal feels fine, no fluid loss, as for the engagement, If I start the car in a gear, it drives off the second I start the car. I CANT down shift, or go into reverse with the car running. Man, Im gonna pull my hair out...
Old 09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

The more you tell me the more I am thinking that you might have a bent disc or inconsistenty torqued pressure-plate bolts. This would affect release and would still allow for the pedal to feel fine.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The more you tell me the more I am thinking that you might have a bent disc or inconsistenty torqued pressure-plate bolts. This would affect release and would still allow for the pedal to feel fine.
You know, Ive been on LS1 Tech for years, and Im finding more and more everyday just how amazing you companies are. I have a monster product, and Spec is chiming into lend a hand. Thanks bro. This all says alot about Spec. Im gonna give you a holla here in a bit. So, go or no go on getting a new slave. The one I have came with the clutch thats in the car, not even 200 miles on it. No leaks, although I understand that there may be an internal leak... Whats your take..
Old 09-11-2009, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

I am a big beleiver in helping everyone, no matter what product they might have. In the end if you have knowledge...share it! As for the slave, if the unit you have now has 200 miles on it then it should still be fine. Of course, I have had a new car with less than 1000 miles on the clock puke hydraulic fluid all over the place...so anything can happen.

If it were my car i would probably just compress the bearing fully, with the bleeder cracked to relieve pressure from the system before botling the trans back up. Then I would bleed it with a mighty-vac, just to make sure there was no air elsewhere in the system. I know this may seem redundant but, redundency can keep you from pulling a transmission again!

Quick Reply: How do you know if you have a bad SLAVE