Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2 weeks with the tick master...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2 weeks with the tick master...

First tick master that came was a dud, leaked air from the master itself, couldn't hold vacuum with a mity etc but... Joey and Tick Performance is amazing to deal with and squared away the problem as fast as he could! Thanks Tick Performance! Now onto my experience with the tick. We all know it kicks ***, so here's another perspective..

The tick is definitely stiffer than stock, not really friendly for newcomers to m6 cars nor people who want daily drivers as in some respects, its like an on off switch. Put some sensitive people in the car and they will want to puke at how grabby it gets. This is with the LS7 clutch, so can only imagine how it will make some aftermarket clutches feel. Personally its fine for me.

Joey mentioned 15% stiffer than stock. If that's the case, my old master was really shot as it felt like a feather compared to this. If you've driven the 5th gen car, you may understand what I mean by feather.

Pedal height will vary with the clutch you have, the wear on it etc. A clutch in its later stages will find itself releasing within 2-3 turns, mine was fully releasing at 3.5 turns. It passed the level rev to 6k in 1st gear test. This is a problem if you love your cruise control. It took me 6 turns to reach the cruise control. That's with some creative bending of the switch bracket AND extending the switch out to its max.

The throw will be shorter than stock. How much shorter is depending on the wear and clutch you are using.

The tick master doesn't like 15hg/in of vacuum. I couldn't get it to hold 15hg without sucking in air while pumping the clutch. If left alone, it could hold vacuum. This is one of those results will vary bits. I resorted to using 10hg/in and pumping to get air bubbles out along with a standard 2 person bleed job.

Bench bleed it first! Always a good idea, but with a mity not as effective in my case, this was really important. Luckily the setup itself lends to letting air get out a lot easier than stock. You'll know its bench bled right when the rod will not budge. Air in the system will allow you to compress the master by hand when not installed.

Use some silicon on the aluminum block when installing. While it seals from noise quite well, air is another matter. It feels like the heater has been switched to hot for me while driving. Noticed it a lot when I was driving in shorts and had A/C on yet felt warm air underneath.

Check your fluid often! I notice the tick has a tendency to circulate fluid a lot quicker than the stocker. I had black fluid in the reservoir within 2 days of driving!