Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

injector problems on 69 camaro ls1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool injector problems on 69 camaro ls1 swap

Let me say this is a great site with a lot of knowledge and usefull information ,Even though this is my first time to post and ask a question I'm not new to this site ,for the last couple of years I've read and used the information and ideas on this forum . But now I'm done with my swap and I've got a problem that has stumpped me. here it is .Injectors not working properly on one complete side[noid light very dim but still pulses] exhaust header cool on same side.just the opposite on passenger side [noid light bright] ,header hot .Sounds like a ground problem so I added extra grounds to frame, body and motor . Check the computer grounds and pins for the injectors .Any wire I thought would be common to that side .Even added another +12v. to the switched pink injector wires . I'm missing something here I just don't know what or where to look next .Any help would be appreciated. Heres my swap 98 T/A 5.7 6 speed into 69 camaro . wait4me harness rework and tune with vats, egr, rear 02,s, deleted. Rev limit raised fan temps lowered all the usual stuff except I had Jesse to switch the tach for 4 cyl. output [had read on LS1 tech that by setting the tach on 4 cyl you could use an original tach.] I changed the 02 sensors and spark plugs before I found the left bank was weak. Jesse deleted vats on another service number correct computer with no other mods ,and I tried that with same results. I have split the harness back open and traced the injector ,coil wires back to the computer and found no broken wires .help!!! please I have this great looking car that I can't drive and is running on one bank only.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Teching In

anyone !!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Launching!

go to wait4me and see what they say.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Launching!

maybee you have a bad connection @ the computer-harness bulkhead connector? Sometimes those pin recievers get messed up
Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tough problem.. as everyone will tell you to do something.. but it comes down to checking everything again.. you got the harness opened.. reseat all of the connectsions again. Check the ground to ensure that they have bare metal.

Check the Blue and Red connectors for bent pins at the PCM, may as well check all connectors for bent pins. Where are you getting your +12v from ?.. battery, junction box, fuse box ? maybe a weak source ? get it directly from the battery (or the horn relay if it is still directly attached to the battery/alternator.

You have both fuel and oil pressure ? Hope it is not the harness. Would have to send that back to Jesse.... He did my PCM.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the injectors to see if the pintles move and whether any fuel is coming out of them and whether the coils are all ok?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can try and remove the fuel rail with the injectors and wire still attached. Hold it up a few inches and put some cups or something under to catch the fuel. have someone crank / start the engine for a sec or two.. see if you get spray from all of the injectors. (GM states to do this for my 88 Vette L98). I don't have a FSM for any LSx engine.. I forget if they recommend unplugging the coil, as that see like a recommendation that should be there.. not sure if the PCM needs them connected to function and send signal to the injectors or not..

also measure the resistance across the two termnials of the injectors.. see if they have the correct range of ohms.. (i forget what is within specs..).

Funny how some of this stuff comes back over time ! for me, my memory is great, just the recall is slow.. !
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Teching In

thanks to all that replied 71 chevelle I have talked to jesse at wait4me and he deleted a service correct computer for me at no additional charge,but had no way to bench test the computer and harness thanks for your reply
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Teching In

LQ9chevelle thanks for your reply Have checked those connecters and the pins on computer they are all ok thanks for the suggestions
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Teching In

bczee thanks for the reply I have took loose the grounds and cleaned them the pins on the computer are all staight and I added grounds to red connecter pin 72 and 76 on ecm last night along with blue connecter pins 21,60. but made no difference the +12v. was straight from the batt. have'nt tried holding the injector rail like you suggested but thats a thought I'll check those injector for the ohms if anyone knows the resistance they are stock gm thanks for your help....
Old 09-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Teching In

rsz288 thanks for the reply . Had the injectors cleaned and bench tested ,the flow is good .Coils are firing . thanks for your help... still looking
Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

and the fun continues.. ! wish there was more I could suggest.. but sooner or later, we will hit on something..

Hmm sending it back to Jesse would not do much without him being able to bench test it..

Have you attached a ODBII scanner to get any reading of the sensors ? may help some !?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Default injector problems on 69 ls1 swap

just talked with gary at m&g he's great with these type problems . He's the one that bench tested and cleaned my injectors . He said that the injectors were all good they ohm out ok .I told him about the weak noid test light on drivers bank ,but he said that was just showing the amount of time the injectors were on . I know they are pulsing . Anyway he's coming to my house at 10:00a.m. bringing his scan tool . Maybe get somewhere then. oh by the way I called John Spears and let me say he's a great person even though he did'nt do the work on my car he offered some advice ... Hat off to speartech!!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Teching In

ok heres the anser thanks to gary para from M&G 606-663-5724 I had inverted the coil wire harness on the drivers OOPS!!!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy miller
ok heres the anser thanks to gary para from M&G 606-663-5724 I had inverted the coil wire harness on the drivers OOPS!!!!!
At least it wasn't an expensive fix.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hate it when we all do that ! LOL.. glad to see it is fixed now.. keep us posted !
Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Teching In

thanks for all your help I'd rather have friends than money any day .Something so simple to fix , I just got a mental block or a senior moment!!!!! I'd put that harness on over a year ago and stopped on the project when my cousin that was helping me on the body restoration had open heart surgery . after his recovery we got back on the car finished the restoration and it ran horrible!!! but not now, thanks again GOD Bless..

Quick Reply: injector problems on 69 camaro ls1 swap