Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

second best shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second best shocks

im in the market for some new shocks, and konis are out of my price range. so i guess im goin for second best lol.

ive been thinking either the kyb agx, or bilstiens.

going to be paired with strano springs.

what do you guys think?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mediocrels1
im in the market for some new shocks, and konis are out of my price range. so i guess im goin for second best lol.

going to be paired with strano springs.

what do you guys think?
I think you should call Strano and see what he thinks. Bilsteins are a no go for lowering springs.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I think you should call Strano and see what he thinks. Bilsteins are a no go for lowering springs.
no. bilstein HD's are no good for lowering springs as they are valved for stock height. revalves are fine.

i'm happy with my bilsteins. way better than stock.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
no. bilstein HD's are no good for lowering springs as they are valved for stock height. revalves are fine.

i'm happy with my bilsteins. way better than stock.
The bilsteins he is talking about are not revalves but HDs. Saying bilsteins are good for lowering springs can give someone a very bad impression when you are talking about revalves and he is looking at HD valving......and bilstein doesn't make a sport shock off the shelf for these cars.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone still do blisten revalving? I have a stock set and they need it, i know strano does not do this anymore.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ he never specified

The bilsteins he is talking about are not revalves but HDs. Saying bilsteins are good for lowering springs can give someone a very bad impression when you are talking about revalves and he is looking at HD valving......and bilstein doesn't make a sport shock off the shelf for these cars.
saying bilsteins are bad for lowering can also give a bad impression if someone is looking into revalves and simply reads this thread, in which the model is not stated.

you are correct though haha. just giving the OP and other readers both sides.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

I really like my Bilstein HDs with Strano springs but I run the OLD design HDs. I only switched to Konis for the adjustability at the track. I guess this really doesn't help though since the old design are unavailable. Good luck,

Larry
Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
^^^ he never specified

saying bilsteins are bad for lowering can also give a bad impression if someone is looking into revalves and simply reads this thread, in which the model is not stated.

you are correct though haha. just giving the OP and other readers both sides.
I'd hope if they are really looking at a set of re-valves they know what a revalved shock is and does...then again we shouldn't always assume
Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

hahaah truth
Old 08-31-2009, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

i was talking about HDs. sorry for not specifying...seeing as bilstien only makes one shock for these cars i assumed yall knew wat i was talking about.

i dnt want to have buy shocks and then get them revalved...so would the kyb agx be a good alternative?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

i was talking about HDs. sorry for not specifying...seeing as bilstien only makes one shock for these cars i assumed yall knew wat i was talking about.

i dnt want to have buy shocks and then get them revalved...so would the kyb agx be a good alternative?
They are adjustable and should be able to handle a lowering spring. However, w/ adjustability you also are adjusting compression and rebound at the same time with those. They are probably good if you are on a budget.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bilstein makes a "sport" shock for 3rd gens that fit just fine in the rear. I used them with G2 springs years ago, and they did the job with regular HDs up front. Car is back to stock and I put new shocks, bushings etc.. all around, and found that the rear 3rd gen Bilstein HDs were cheaper than the 4th. Shop around and happy motoring.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned

Stay away from the KYB's. You could look into the Tokico shocks also.. They make the HP series (also known as the Blue's) and I have seen good results from them. Might be something to look into at the least.. From your listed options though, I would go with the Bilsteins. Way better shock than the KYB's which are just junk IMO.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SVTHuh
Stay away from the KYB's. You could look into the Tokico shocks also.. They make the HP series (also known as the Blue's) and I have seen good results from them. Might be something to look into at the least.. From your listed options though, I would go with the Bilsteins. Way better shock than the KYB's which are just junk IMO.
He is pairing w/ Strano springs so Bilstein HDs aren't a good choice.

Seriously read what people are going to be doing before recommending something they aren't going to be happy with.

The Tokicos aren't that great either and I doubt you could say they are better than KYBs.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take it from me, do NOT use regular Bilstein HDs on lowered suspension. And since its hard to get them revalved, some companies still do it..you can ship it to Bilstein US headquarters in California its $65 a shock + some labor charge.
You can grab Bilstein HD on ebaymotors for about $400 shipped. But if you re valve... you spending way more. However, there is also a guy on ebaymotors that does Bilstein revalves for $45 a piece member is "kevinl8259".

I have realized cheating out on suspension is one of the worst things to do to a ride. Hard to say a second best...

Bilsteins are similiar in price with KYB AGX, but the face the KYB are adjustable, go for those.

Last edited by 96blackz28; 09-01-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

He is pairing w/ Strano springs so Bilstein HDs aren't a good choice.

Seriously read what people are going to be doing before recommending something they aren't going to be happy with.

The Tokicos aren't that great either and I doubt you could say they are better than KYBs.

thanks for the input but can i ask why bilsteins arnt good? are we talking poor ride quality or something like they rupture after a while?

i emailed strano and asked what he recomended, jus said he ddnt prefer the bilsteins for lack of rebound damping. He also said "neither is wrong".

bottom line im bassically just concerned with neutrality through the corners, and walking away with a shock thats not going to break.

thanks to all who have commented!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96blackz28
Take it from me, do NOT use regular Bilstein HDs on lowered suspension. And since its hard to get them revalved, some companies still do it..you can ship it to Bilstein US headquarters in California its $65 a shock + some labor charge.
You can grab Bilstein HD on ebaymotors for about $400 shipped. But if you re valve... you spending way more. However, there is also a guy on ebaymotors that does Bilstein revalves for $45 a piece member is "kevinl8259".

I have realized cheating out on suspension is one of the worst things to do to a ride. Hard to say a second best...

Bilsteins are similiar in price with KYB AGX, but the face the KYB are adjustable, go for those.

im assuming that u did it. what happened? how much was your car lowered?

thanks for the ebay info
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call up Sam Strano and see what he has to say.He will know what's the best shock for your budget.Strano Performance 1-800-729-1831
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transwiz
Call up Sam Strano and see what he has to say.He will know what's the best shock for your budget.Strano Performance 1-800-729-1831
^^^ This is true as well. And if u go the cheaper route on shocks, not going Koni Yellows, he recommends the KYB AGX.

And to the OP, no i did not re valve my shocks yet, debating on doing that this winter or going with a different setup. I currently have DMS springs 1.5" in front .75" in rear, with stock Bilstien HDs. Rides rough! I was looking into re valveing and just sharing to you my findings on that.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for the input but can i ask why bilsteins arnt good? are we talking poor ride quality or something like they rupture after a while?

i emailed strano and asked what he recomended, jus said he ddnt prefer the bilsteins for lack of rebound damping. He also said "neither is wrong".

bottom line im bassically just concerned with neutrality through the corners, and walking away with a shock thats not going to break.

thanks to all who have commented!
Like Sam mentioned to you, Bilstein HDs don't have enough rebound damping to control a lowering spring like the Strano springs. When you have a lowering spring, usually they are shorter than a stock spring and are accompanied by a higher spring rate. Due to that higher spring rate and a shorter distance to dampen the spring, you need a shock w/ good rebound damping. This is why the Koni SA are a popular choice. You can adjust rebound to your heart's content w/ these and get the exact feel and damping you need.

Bilstein makes good shocks. But the valving on the HDs doesn't have the necessary rebound damping for a lowering spring. They are great for stock height springs and if you were staying stock height I would recommend them as your lower cost/best option. For lowering springs, you could get these revalved, but as has mentioned before to buy the Bilsteins and then get them revalved, cost wise you would just be better off going w/ the Konis IMO. Figure $100 a shock and then $65 each to get revalved plus shipping/handling and you are looking at the same price as a Koni shock but w/ the Koni you'd be able to adjust the shock to fit your tastes.

Not to mention when you put a shock that is underdamped on a lowering spring all it will do is wear the shock out faster. This is why some people say the car feels great upon lowering w/ Bilstein HDs only to come back later to say the shocks can't control the spring anymore after only a short time.

Regardless, in your price range the KYBs are your best bet for a lowering spring IMO. While the adjustability isn't the best as you are adjusting compression and rebound simultaneously, at least you do have adjustment with these. The KYBs should be able to control a lowering spring although note that KYB won't warranty their shocks on a lowering spring...just be aware. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: second best shocks