General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

burning oil smell after stop and go traffic

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil smell after stop and go traffic

yesterday there was a cruse down a street by my house and after about 1/2 an hour i started to get a burning smell from the front of the car. after i got home it got a little worse and i could smell it outside of the car. everything is acting fine the temp was right at normal could it be a tranny issue (m6) or clutch or something else?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Any leaks? Oil could be leaking onto the exhaust and that's how you get that smell.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

1. Your **** could just be dirty

2.Check for blueish exshust. If its blue then you need to replace a leaking head gasket.
(sometimes you can leak oil from your heads into your exshust which will turn your exshust a blueish color)

3. It could be leaking trough your piston rings and into your combustion chamber which is a lil more serious becouse you have to replace piston rings.
(it happens nothing last forever)

those are my 3 guesses in order but rember i could be completly wrong. Clean off your motor real good along with your under carriage if no blue smoke and maybe someone else will have sompthing a little more reasonable then just checking pistons and head gaskets....

Last edited by Stocktonz28; 08-30-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 08-30-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stocktonz28
1. Your **** could just be dirty

2.Check for blueish exshust. If its blue then you need to replace a leaking head gasket.
(sometimes you can leak oil from your heads into your exshust which will turn your exshust a blueish color)

3. It could be leaking trough your piston rings and into your combustion chamber which is a lil more serious becouse you have to replace piston rings.
(it happens nothing last forever)

those are my 3 guesses in order but rember i could be completly wrong. Clean off your motor real good along with your under carriage if no blue smoke and maybe someone else will have sompthing a little more reasonable then just checking pistons and head gaskets....
when a headgasket goes out the smoke is almost always white from coolant burning. he said his burning oil smell was coming from the front end, so it sounds like you have a bad valvecover gasket dropping oil on the manifolds, or a rear main seal leak that is dropping oil onto the ypipe
Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

hmmm... im not very techical so how much is this going to cost me?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

is it something that has to be done right now? i am a little low on cash... should i park it?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Teching In

nah, if its just dripping a little keep driving it and remember to check your oil level more often.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When my oil pan was leaking it would dribble on the Y pipe and burn off, making everything all smelly.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil filler cap tight?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check your pwr steering hoses as well. mine was leaking at the rack and fluid was getting on the bottom of my headers, it was just like oil burning
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Teching In

You sure it's oil? I thought my new clucth was going bacause of this bad smell...when I got under there I found a bag wrapped around the exhaust and it was stinking like crazy while it was burning off...
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
check your pwr steering hoses as well. mine was leaking at the rack and fluid was getting on the bottom of my headers, it was just like oil burning
+1!

I had this exact same thing happen - When I would be stopped then go I could smell it through the HVAC but not any other time. My power steering pump was on its way out and was leaking on the exhaust. Check that one out, it sounds very similar to what I went through.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: burning oil smell after stop and go traffic