Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster clutch install, have a little issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Monster clutch install, have a little issue

I installed my Monster 3.5, new gm replacement slave cylinder, new pilot bearing. Already have the tick performance master cylinder.

Decided i wanted to run some guy in an impala SS the other day and dropped it into 2nd ran it up to 6000 then tried to shift to 3rd, went into 3rd but the slave did not release the pressure plate. Long story short i have been adjusting my tick master to the point where it is almost on the floor. The problem i have is that it is over extending my slave and it is wont return(Only at high rpm shifts and only going into third gear). I got the master adjusted just enough so the slave wont over extend itself and when i got the pedal pressed all the way in that it fully releases the clutch. I also installed a quicktime bellhousing during the clutch install. I measured the length of the stock belhousing and the new bellhousing with backing plate and the new bellhousing is shorter so its not the size of the bellhousing making the difference for the slave.

Just wanted to let some people know that mine needs a shim so i can completely get rid of the problem. I read somewhere where they say the monster does not need a shim but that is not the case in my situation.

Hope this helps somebody because i did not think i needed to measure to see if i needed a shim, so i suggest everybody should measure during a clutch install for a shim and definately have a adjustable master cylinder just for the added adjustment you can do with one. No problems with the clutch itself it is doing great and grabbin hard.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmass399
I installed my Monster 3.5, new gm replacement slave cylinder, new pilot bearing. Already have the tick performance master cylinder.

Decided i wanted to run some guy in an impala SS the other day and dropped it into 2nd ran it up to 6000 then tried to shift to 3rd, went into 3rd but the slave did not release the pressure plate. Long story short i have been adjusting my tick master to the point where it is almost on the floor. The problem i have is that it is over extending my slave and it is wont return(Only at high rpm shifts and only going into third gear). I got the master adjusted just enough so the slave wont over extend itself and when i got the pedal pressed all the way in that it fully releases the clutch. I also installed a quicktime bellhousing during the clutch install. I measured the length of the stock belhousing and the new bellhousing with backing plate and the new bellhousing is shorter so its not the size of the bellhousing making the difference for the slave.

Just wanted to let some people know that mine needs a shim so i can completely get rid of the problem. I read somewhere where they say the monster does not need a shim but that is not the case in my situation.

Hope this helps somebody because i did not think i needed to measure to see if i needed a shim, so i suggest everybody should measure during a clutch install for a shim and definately have a adjustable master cylinder just for the added adjustment you can do with one. No problems with the clutch itself it is doing great and grabbin hard.

I doubt you need a shim, and sounds more like a tranny problem than anything. Having a problem with only one gear, is not gonna be a clutch issue.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 PM
FormerVendor

Not to mention, you are STILL assuming here, as you have not even addressed the problem. So, for you to say that you NEED a shim to fix your problem, and to not even address or fix the problem, is....
Old 08-30-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh but i have fixed the problem, i adjusted the master cylinder so it would not extend the slave too far out. This is the same thing that was happening when i had the stock clutch in and stock slave ect., I just did not know it. This is the only thing it can be because i can shift it at 6000 fine without using the clutch period, not a trans issue.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Oh but i have fixed the problem, i adjusted the master cylinder so it would not extend the slave too far out. This is the same thing that was happening when i had the stock clutch in and stock slave ect., I just did not know it. This is the only thing it can be because i can shift it at 6000 fine without using the clutch period, not a trans issue.

You run the stock clutch with your Mcleod bell also?

If you have not installed a shim and actually fixed teh problem, then you have not fixed teh problem, but only assuming you have.

I will take measurements today to verify (I have one in stock), but I am 99% positive that your Mcleod with motorplate bell setup is deeper than your stock bell.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quicktime bellhousing not mcleod unless mcleod makes quicktime or something. I measured both and the stock was a little bit longer but only by a millimeter or so. Yeah i see what your saying as to the point of putting the shim in and testing it. I would not put this information out there unless i was 100% sure what was happening without 100% fixing the problem even tho i have fixed it but not the way i wanted to as with using a shim to create more usable travel in the slave without it screwing up by not using a shim.

My point is i come to the conclusion that since i adjusted the master so that it will only put so much travel in the slave cylinder, thus not making it over extend itself, The clutch pedal is almost on the floor. If the clutch pedal is almost on the floor then the slave is not gonna be traveling very far right. It started letting me shift into 3rd when i readjusted almost to the floor. That right there tells me that the slave was not returning when i had the master adjusted my original way when i released the clutch pedal. I need a shim because i want some more travel in my slave without it screwing up because i am almost to the point to when i push my clutch pedal in it wont disengage the clutch disc from the pressure plate. Would anybody want that, wouldn't the logical explantion mean getting a shim to put behind that slave. The least little bit of travel off the floor from the clutch pedal and it starts slipping.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have read a little on the mcleod with the motor plate from other people posting on the forum saying that it was a little longer than stock so i expected my quicktime with motorplate to be longer too. I measured anyway just to make sure and see what the difference was and i rememer it was only a little bit. I may have written my measurments down somwhere, i made sure i was pretty precise on the measurments to so i would not be giving out any false information.

Quick Reply: Monster clutch install, have a little issue