Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Pontiac Formula with only 20,000 miles, added Firehawk exhaust, ram air.............

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac Formula with only 20,000 miles, added Firehawk exhaust, ram air.............

Well I have a 2000 Formula, that the previous owner must have added RAM AIR to, as I found when I posted it for sale numerous times and several potential buyers have asked me for the door decal photo, then got back to me with "thats not a WS6" or "your a fraud man". See I bought this car to use as my car to run off from the church in, after my wedding for me and my wife, which we did, then sorta never drove it much, see it only has 20,000 miles on it, and I paid only $9,000 for it in the middle of winter, which is a steal for a convertible TA with that low a mileage, on a sorta spur of the moment mid life crisis thing. Well upon attempting to sell it for the fourth time, I decided to give up and keep the thing as its not as rare as I thought and my buddy with his 67 camaro tells me that these cars in ten years are gonna be like the 80's TA's are (worth nothing much more unless you own a new untitled one or that prototype turbo charged one that broke the land speed record or whatever). After pondering it over I decided to do what I so hated to do, which was chop it up more than the previous owner did. Im a big Craigslist shopper, I bought a set of 17 inch speedline wheels that are like new, and near me a guy put an aftermarket exhaust on his firehawk for more sound, and decided to sell the factory Firehawk exhaust. Well me being in my state of lets say "in need of a welding project, and ready to put my TA on the chopping block" bought it dirt cheap (the exhaust). And when I saw this exhaust system, it was made of like that food grade looking stainless steel, I mean the kind that looks as if it never rusts, and you can almost see yourself in, the kind that you cant believe they would even put under a car and why. And thats just the muffler get up, the y pipe back is like 3 inch mandrel bent stuff, it looked like I should be putting a basketball net on one end, AMAZING I said when I saw it. Needless to say I had to install this the next day after bringing it home to see what these cool looking toys were all about. And first off I found that the firehawk system uses more hangers, which I fabricated easily, second the muffler sits a little different, may look the same in design, but it is actually smaller and does not slant downward towards the front of the car as the factory formula exhaust muffler does, on the formula the tailpipes bend to allow the muffler to slant. The Firehawk muffler tailpipe assy is all straight pipe. This Firehawk stuff is so nice I hated sliding it on my garage floor to test fit it before welding, as to risk scratching it, it came off a car with 4,000 miles on it only. Well upon finishing it, I turned the key and &*^% exhaust leak I heard, but wait, im a terrific welder, how can that be. Its not, its just deep and throaty, but tuned, the sound of a truly well tuned performance exhaust system, AMAZING. You would not believe the difference this system makes in sound, it completely eliminated that Chevrolet Beretta sound it used to have. I cant imagine why anyone would remove this firehawk system from their car to add a little noise that probably is better left in the 70's, or in those modern muscle cars like honda civics or wrxs LOL yeah right. Anyways, the whole reason for this post is, I have owned numerous cars over the years, and I have never ever, had a bolt on accessory do what this exhaust has done to my TA. I removed all the cats, installed flowmasters on a brand new 94 5.0 mustang I had, and it was nothing like the performance gain I got from putting this system on my 2000 Trans Am, I bet I gained like 20-25 HP with it along with the previous owner putting RAM AIR on it (hood and airbox). I highly recommend this exhaust if you can find it, you wont be disappointed. You can really feel the difference in accelleration, its like this exhaust opened up the other end that the ram air was feeding in the opposite end. As I said AMAZING, and now im definitely keeping it (the car) WS6 or not, whats a few torsion bars and an emblem mean anyway, as if these cars can handle even half as good as those modern muscle cars I mentioned above, IN OUR DREAMS REALLY. I would be really really surprised if there was a better exhaust system (mainly the muffler/tailpipe setup) than what comes stock on a Firehawk TA, all you have to do is see it in person and you would agree with me. Just my experiences with my TA guys, love the forum here, its both entertaining and educational.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So first you claim the car is a Formula then say it's a Convertible Trans Am ?
It has to be a Trans Am because there were no Formula convertibles made except for the 2 prototypes done in `98 both of which are WS6's.
Anyway welcome to the site and post up some pics.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Holy ****.....Paragraphs!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Story-telling about your ride belongs on fquick.com
Old 09-01-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, got lost half way that, post some pics so we can figure what you have
Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I stopped five lines in
Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

No response yet. Must have typed themselves into a deep sleep.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 90TSiAWD
Holy ****.....Paragraphs!
lol, I didn't even attempt to read it.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tl; dr
Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=amanda11270;12152239] I removed all the cats, installed flowmasters on a brand new 94 5.0 mustang I had, and it was nothing like the performance gain I got from putting this system on my 2000 Trans Am, I bet I gained like 20-25 HP with it along with the previous owner putting RAM AIR on it (hood and airbox). QUOTE]

WHAT?!? 20-25hp from a simple exhaust change...wowo i got jipped with my slp haha. nice judgement but no where near as much as you think

its like this exhaust opened up the other end that the ram air was feeding in the opposite end.
umm doesnt regular exhaust open up what the "ram air" is feeding of did the stock ones block off the engine?

I would be really really surprised if there was a better exhaust system (mainly the muffler/tailpipe setup) than what comes stock on a Firehawk TA, all you have to do is see it in person and you would agree with me.[/
there are better exhaust setups. and we all know what a new exhaust system feels like. sorry i had to be a dick but it sounds like you are completely new to the world of mods

Quick Reply: Pontiac Formula with only 20,000 miles, added Firehawk exhaust, ram air.............