Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch install now wont go in gear... need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new monster clutch now wont go in gear

I have a 02 Z28 with 38k miles. I purchased a monster level 3 kit with new slave cylinder and also a quicktime blow proof bell housing. I went thru and done all of my install this weekend, also done the drill mod to my stock master cylinder during the install. went to test the car on the jack stands and could not get it into gear at all with the brakes aplied. I rebled my hydraulics and tried again. This time with alot of force i could get it into gear with brakes aplied, but soon as i let off the brakes the tires would immediatly start spinning with clutch pedal held all the way down. Any gear i tried takes alot of force to get it in. I thought i maybe still had air trapped somewhere in my hydraulics so i tried manual bleeding agian, no improvement. Tried letting it gravity bleed with no improvement. Tried bleeding with a mity vac and no improvent. My final effort i made up a pressure bleeder and ran a full 32oz bottle and anouther half of fluid thru the system with no improovement. Im running out of ideas. From a couple other threads i have read with simular problems it may be my master cylinder is giving up on me suddenly. Anyones ideas and advice i would appreciate.

Last edited by 69blueSS; 08-31-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

How does the clutch feel when you push it in? Seems like a master cylinder problem. its clearly not disengaging the clutch.

I'd either pull it back out and reinstall it, make sure something didn't get installed funny or go ahead and call up tick if you are sure you installed it right
Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

clutch pedal doesnt really feel funny that i can tell, feels almost stock
Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

The OEM Master Cylinders are notorious for failing with an aftermarket clutch. Try pressure bleeding the system, if that does not do the trick, it's probably time for a new Master, the Tick unit is what we recommend.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

purchased a factory replacement master cylinder today and installed it after work. Purchased the master from advanceauto and my original factory master was identical to the one from advance. Could set them side by side and not tell the difference, all part numbers and labeling the same. bench bled the new master and installed it. Opened the bleeder on my slave and let it gravity bleed for alittle bit. Then i took a pressure bleeder and bled the hydraulic system to make sure all air was out. Pumped clutch several times and repeated process. The clutch pedal now feels like it is engaging low, but does feel more firm than my old master. I started the car and tried putting in gear with clutch pedal pressed in and now its worse than it was. I cant even force it into gear. I tried rebleeding the system and it felt and acted exactly the same, wont go into gear and feels like low engagement. I had a friend work the pedal while i looked through a whole in my bell housing and could see the pressure plate not even start to move until the pedal was almost all the way to the floor. Is my new slave bad? am i needing to shim?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is strange to hear multiple people with very similar problems, myself including. I worked on my car for 3 days trying to get it to bleed and had no success. Is it possible that the monster clutch could require a shim?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by miller456
This is strange to hear multiple people with very similar problems, myself including. I worked on my car for 3 days trying to get it to bleed and had no success. Is it possible that the monster clutch could require a shim?
Definitely not trying to step on any toes, but I was thinking the same thing. Has anyone that's had this problem installed a shim and did it made any difference?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Well, in this case, with teh Mcleod bellhousing, maybe. Did you use the motorplate that comes with the bell? I measured the Mcleod last night (with the motorplate), and is 5 9/16" deep. I thought I had a stock bell lying around, but I don't (to measure)

Anyone care to throw up the stock bell depth???
Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Definitely not trying to step on any toes, but I was thinking the same thing. Has anyone that's had this problem installed a shim and did it made any difference?
i have a friend who has a shim from his old spec that i was thinking about trying tonight. i have bled my brains out on this clutch and it wont get any better. I plan on calling steve when they open and find out what he says about whats happening, this is getting very frustrating. Im on a budget and cant just be throwing money at the car guessing.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69blueSS
i have a friend who has a shim from his old spec that i was thinking about trying tonight. i have bled my brains out on this clutch and it wont get any better. I plan on calling steve when they open and find out what he says about whats happening, this is getting very frustrating. Im on a budget and cant just be throwing money at the car guessing.
Im in the same boat brotha. With pretty much the same problem. I know Monster makes a great clutch, definitly not doughting that. And I know that Tick makes an amazing master cylinder. Im curious to see what the out come is with all of this. If money wasnt an issue I would have bought the Tick Master weeks ago. But, I cant afford to guess. Already WAY over budget on this build.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also have a shim i could install and was going to until i popped the motor. So if you do try it, please post up the results and let us know.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

happened to have my stock bell housing setting in my truck. measure it with a digital caliper came out to be 5.53"-5.54" I campared my quick time before i installed them and they were the same static height with a straight edge ran across both and yes i had my motor plate under my quick time when i did the comparison. I also have a friend running the exact same bell housing with a level 5 monster on a stock master that he installed about 8 months ago and never had these issues.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive noticed so far from the posts ive seen that this issue is only with the level 3's. Just like upper level specs usually dont require a shim as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

called monster, steve was with anouther customer, awaiting a call back
Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

keep us posted man, your doing the work of possible resolving an issue for many people, appreciate it.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

still havent heard back from steve. spoke to a local performance shop that deals with mainly LSx powered stuff and he told me that its still my master cylinder even tho i just put a new one on. He was saying that the stock master isnt pushing enough fluid to move the stronger monster pressure plate. Im just not 100% sold on that being my entire problem. ScreaminRedZ went to a tick and could finally get his in gear but still is having shifting issues from what ive read. i know of guys running stock masters with as heavy and heavier clutch setups, but i cant even get mine in gear. I guess im gonna borrow a scope from my work and see if i cant see whats happening in my bell housing and hopefully get more of an idea of what direction i need to go.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

happened to have my stock bell housing setting in my truck. measure it with a digital caliper came out to be 5.53"-5.54" I campared my quick time before i installed them and they were the same static height with a straight edge ran across both and yes i had my motor plate under my quick time when i did the comparison. I also have a friend running the exact same bell housing with a level 5 monster on a stock master that he installed about 8 months ago and never had these issues.

Well, ths stock bell is definitely shallower than the Mcleod unit I have, as it clearly measured 5 9/16" with motorplate, so not sure why your Mcleod and mine would be any different.

Originally Posted by miller456
ive noticed so far from the posts ive seen that this issue is only with the level 3's. Just like upper level specs usually dont require a shim as well.

Unless this came into a recent batch of PP's, not buying into that yet. We have WELL OVER a 1000 of these units out, with no problems to date (unless you count these couple). So, need to do some more research before you start jumping to conclusions...
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, ths stock bell is definitely shallower than the Mcleod unit I have, as it clearly measured 5 9/16" with motorplate, so not sure why your Mcleod and mine would be any different.

Unless this came into a recent batch of PP's, not buying into that yet. We have WELL OVER a 1000 of these units out, with no problems to date (unless you count these couple). So, need to do some more research before you start jumping to conclusions...
Im not jumping to conclusions i just want to fix the problem, just take a look at this section, theres 3 people right now with pretty much exact to similar problems. Doesnt matter if its 1000 or 3 people, if they all share a common theme for an issue with the EXACT same clutch then there is an issue, and im just trying to keep posted on a solution. Also no offense but from reading my posts no where am i blaming the clutch itself so im not quite sure how many units you have out has to do with anything? What im questioning really is the need for a shim, especially since someone who has a tick master, new slave and is still having WOT issues.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gen414

I have a Quicktime performance bell housing, not a mcleod unless they are made by the same company.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought and installed a brand new Monster stage 3 clutch with a new slave from Monster and I could not shift the car into gear at all. I could force it into first only a few times and reverse was impossible. I went ahead and bought a Tick Master and It goes into gear now but third and fourth are very notchy and it even grinds fourth if I'm at 3000 RPM's or more. I'm still in break in mode so I haven't even had the chance to get on it hard and frankly I don't want to in case its gonna screw up any of my gears. I have it adjusted pretty far out and I'm at the point where adjusting one turn in or one turn out does not affect the problem I am having. Also the car will grinds the gears really bad when going from 1st to 4th (Skip Shift) and when trying to down shift from 5th or 6th down to 3rd. I don't know what the hell is going on? Maybe we got a bad batch of slaves or pressure plates or something. I don't know what the heck is going on, but I want it fixed. And I don't want to pay the labor of dropping the trans again because I am out of money trying to fix this issue, having bought only the best and most expensive stuff. I am in no way bad mouthing Tick or Monster as they have great customer service, but I am frustrated.

Quick Reply: New clutch install now wont go in gear... need opinions